YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Inner Light - Dhamma Wheel

The Inner Light

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Viscid

The Inner Light

Postby Viscid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 pm

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Kenshou

Re: The Inner Light

Postby Kenshou » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:46 pm

I think that when the 5 hindrances are out of the way and the mind is unperturbed, there can be a general sense of "brightness", along with various other perceptions such as "light" or "spacious". It seems to me that this general area is where pamojja/piti can start to develop, which is good. But I don't think we should regard these various experiences of light as anything profound. (Which I'm not saying that you're doing.)

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 pm

It is common for me also. And soothing and joyful. Usually I let it continue while meditating on breath. It has been an interesting exercise to break the experience into the five khandas just to get a handle on it. Doing so has made it less mysterious if not less enjoyable.

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:17 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 pm

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:37 pm

manas

Postby manas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:33 am

There is a kind of light, in my humble experience a 'light of awareness itself' (it seemed to pervade the mind itself, and was not a 'light of the physical world' - twas strange and pleasing, though very fleeting), and in my experience is only perceptible with a still mind, and no thoughts (which isn't something I've had very often, or for very long - just to set the record clear!). While we shouldn't cling to it anymore than anything else, I am not going to push it away either, should it arise again. Interestingly, in my experience, I can only perceive it if I am not seeking it, but rather am very content to just rest with the object of meditation, renouncing all else. So in my experience, there's not much danger of getting attached to it, because I can't access it if I'm 'wanting' it anyway.

:namaste:

An afterthought: let us not lose our sense of wonder. Let us not try to hose down rapture. It's ok for the process of awakening to involve some thrill, some adventure. Goodness, if with much right effort we manage to let go of sensual desire and the other hindrances for a while, can't we allow ourselves just a bit of bliss? I for one expect awakening to be wonderful - yes, blissful - cos the Blessed One said so!

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:33 am

manas

Postby manas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:30 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

manas

Postby manas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:00 am

ewomack

Postby ewomack » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Though I haven't experienced "the inner light," I definitely experience a calming and ineffable feeling of well-being after meditating for about 20 minutes. I've heard from some lectures not to emphasize how long one meditates, but how often and how "focused." The original poster said the experience comes after 45 minutes or so of meditation. Have others found a timely element to meditation experiences?
Ed Womack

manas

Postby manas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 am

Last edited by manas on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:05 am

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:32 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:38 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Travis

Postby Travis » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:09 pm

I recently asked questions about a similar experience: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9057#p140702

For me I think the sense of excitement was a result of the impression that something was happening. After "losing" the experience I was able to come back to it without the excitement which seemed like it was derailing my concentration beyond that point, anyway. I regard it as a (pleasant) facet of concentration. It takes me about 10-15 minutes now and was initially at the end of 30 minutes.

I have been staying with the breath, but would suggest trying to focus on the light. For me it just seemed to make it unstable, or kind of slippery, but if I stay with the breath the light stays stable. If it brings about cessation for you though, be sure to PM me! :toast:

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”