YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhism for Tough Guys - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhism for Tough Guys

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
octathlon

Re: Buddhism for Tough Guys

Postby octathlon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Welcome to DhammaWheel, Gerry. :hello:

I see you are quickly becoming familiar with some of the personalities we have here. :D

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Yup....... lots of tough guys.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Lots who aren't.

:heart:

altar

Postby altar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:52 am

i have been freeing the flies in our house, especially when they pang on the windows...............
but the idea still intrigues me...

buddhism for all.

Planet_Mu

Postby Planet_Mu » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 am

Great stuff! Welcome. :anjali:

tilted_wheel

Postby tilted_wheel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:42 pm

I can't get the link for the BFD blog to work. Anyone else having this problem?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

Bodhisurfer

Postby Bodhisurfer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:00 am

I don't think "tough" guys can ever get the Dhamma. They seem mutually incompatible.

manas

Postby manas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 am

Welcome, buddhismfordudes.

I've seen some baffling things in the Buddhist world, so I can relate to your mosquito analogy. There was one Buddhist center i visited where there was a sign up in the bathroom, reading: 'please close the lid of the toilet shut, to prevent insects from drowning'. A very nice thought, yes. But then I noticed the meat consumption at that place (bought and prepared by the laypeople there)...it was considerable. But since they were not the slaughterers, it did not seem to concern them...the 'it's not my kamma' justification. Ok...so we should care for insects drowning in the toilet, but not for mammals being totured and brutally butchered in slaughterhouses...hmm. If your point is that compassion involves going out of our way, inconveniencing ourselves a bit, for the sake of helping others, rather than doing only what is relatively easy and convenient, just so we can get a warm buzz that we are 'compassionate' after all - then I see your point, and I like the analogy.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 am

OK, I see your point. But remember monks eat what is given.
Despite the best attempts of vegetarians to convince people otherwise, Buddha did not categorically forbid the eating of meat.
Last edited by alan on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

manas

Postby manas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

manas

Postby manas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:06 am

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 am

Well said, friend.

buddhismfordudes

Postby buddhismfordudes » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:24 pm

My "freeing the mosquito in your bedroom" reference comes from a Vipassana meditation book written by an American (or British?) woman who literally described her act of catching and freeing a mosquito that had invaded her bedroom. My take would be to kill it, but on the other hand I hold spiders in a sort of reverence (because they eat mosquitoes!) and have never harmed one or killed one in my life. When my daughter was little and she had a spider in her bedroom, I would catch it in my hand and pretend to eat it, and then let it go on my back porch. Anyone who kills spiders do so because they are scary, hence someone who kills spiders is not a tough guy, and suffers under the delusion that spiders are scary. Of course, some spiders are scary.

My take on things is common sense, which I believe is enhanced in someone developing a Buddhist mindset, because delusion is "cast out" through diligent Dhamma study and meditation. If you can come to see the spider in a new light, you can see people in a new light. I did case management for a long time because I like to see people succeed, and over the years I've helped "enhance the community presence" of disabled people, ex-cons, the homeless, and Asian refugees - even jungle villagers in Sri Lanka. But I did get paid for most of this activity (not much, not enough to support a family on). On the other hand, I got paid for what made me happy.

Come visit me at Buddhism for Tough Guys at www.buddhismfordudes.blog.com

I promise I'll check in more.

Gerry Stribling
Author of "Buddhism for Dudes" and
"Confessions of a Buddhist Gunslinger"
(amazon.com/Kindle Store)
Gerry Stribling
Author of "Buddhism for Dudes"
Blog "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at buddhismfordudes.blog.com

Pondera

Postby Pondera » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 pm

buddhismfordudes

Postby buddhismfordudes » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 pm

I believe that toughness and self-reliance go hand in hand. Fear is the enemy. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

I was a tough guy (USMC 1970-72) before I became a Buddhist. My most meditative experience ever was a summer spent on the Appalachian Trail. In retrospect, I have a compassionate streak in me a mile wide - always been that way. For the last twenty years I've practiced "street-level" social work with the disabled, criminals, homeless, veterans and refugees from Asia. It was great to help others and actually get paid for it, because when I don't get paid for it, I do it for free anyway. A good advocate, I believe, should exude a little toughness - I've been able to make good things happen for people because I'm not the kind of guy (in an advocacy role) that takes "no" for an answer.

Buddhism, I believe, is all about helping others in whatever capacity one can. For me, it's all about "the other guy" and I believe that's the meaning of "anatta" in real life. In that sense, my Marine training (self-sacrifice, keep your buddy alive, your role is secondary to the team's mission) and my Buddhist training fit together quite nicely.

My goal with my blog "Buddhism for Tough Guys" and my little book "Buddhism for Dudes" (amazon.com) is to share the Dhamma with the kind of guys who follow NASCAR and the NFL, gun owners and sports fishermen and military. And under situations I've encountered, sometimes it takes a little intimidation to prevent violence from happening. I'm not too into preaching to the choir or quibbling over esoteric matters. I've had a great life so far, full of adventure and sometimes dangerous, but I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was afraid.
Gerry Stribling
Author of "Buddhism for Dudes"
Blog "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at buddhismfordudes.blog.com

Return to “Introductions”