YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

News from samsara - Dhamma Wheel

News from samsara

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Stiphan

News from samsara

Postby Stiphan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 am

What's up with the news today?

Kim OHara

Re: News from samsara

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:45 am

Journalists' maxim: If it bleeds, it leads.
:thinking:
Kim

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:28 am

Its samsara.
Samsara sucks.
Suffering sells newspapers.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

David2

Postby David2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:41 am

plwk

Postby plwk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Kare

Postby Kare » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:03 pm

We are having some terrible days in Norway now. The bombing was bad enough, but the brutal and cold-blooded slaughtering of more than 80 young people really makes the nation weep. This is the time for much metta and karuna ...
Mettāya,
Kåre

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:34 pm

I cannot begin to imagine the grief of the families and the communities involved.

I recall some years ago there was a case of a child killing a child in a Norwegian village and the community response which was amazingly enlightened from what I've heard (it was compared to the kids in Britain and the lynch mob mentality that followed in response)

I hope Norwegians find the wisdom to deal with this tragedy in a similarly compassionate and open-hearted way, heal and grow from it.

Metta to all
_/|\_

Claudia

Postby Claudia » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:36 pm

I feel very sorry for the victims. With metta...
Many greetings from

Claudia

alan

Postby alan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 am

Of all the countries I've visited, which are many, Norway really stood out. It struck me as a thoughtful, dignified and honorable society. A bit of my heart still lives on in the strawberry fields I worked on in my 20's. A bit lives in Oslo, that beautiful capital where I worked several jobs one memorable summer. A bit lives on those long, long summer nights that never ended, with a twilight glow after midnight. A part of my heart is still in love with the people of Norway--beautiful people I will never forget.

My heart is sad today.

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 am

Kare

Postby Kare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 am

Last Monday it was planned to arrange a memorial march or procession in Oslo. People were asked to bring a rose and come to the Town Hall square (between the town hall and the harbour) in order to start the procession there. More than 100 000 (some say it was close to 200 000) people came, so it was decided that it was impossible to bring all those people through the streets in a procession. In stead there was held a ceremony there in front of the Town Hall. It was transferred on the TV, and it was a very moving and dignified happening. The crown prince, the prime minister and others gave speeches, focusing not on hate and revenge, but on love and taking care of each other. Here is a video:

http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42472

After the speeches and the songs were finished, people walked away in quiet grief, spontaneously leaving their flowers creating flower decorations all over the centre of Oslo:

http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42479

Also, just after the news were known, some people left flowers, candles, greetings and small flags at the door of the Oslo Domkirke (the central church in Oslo). More and more people left flowers there, and the police had to close the street outside the church for cars, until there now is a veritable ocean of flowers spreading across the street and far into the market place:

http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42486

I think these pictures say more than words about the general feelings in Norway just now.
Mettāya,
Kåre

Return to “Lounge”