Shikshasamucchaya

General forum on Mahayana.

Shikshasamucchaya

Postby sangyey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:32 pm

Does anybody know where I may be able to get a copy of Shantideva's other work 'Shikshasamucchaya'? His Holiness recommended that they should be studied together.

Thank you.

~Sangyey
sangyey

Re: Shikshasamucchaya

Postby Will » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

This old version is very dated but the only one, so far, in English:

Śikṣā Samuccaya: A Compendium of Buddhist Doctrine, translated by Cecil Bendall and W.H.D Rouse, 1922

The Geshe mentioned at this site is translating it, so maybe contact him and see if you can get a copy or at least find out when or if it will be published: http://www.tibethouse.us/programs/view/102258/4
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby sangyey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Oh wow! Okay thank you for the link.
sangyey

Postby sangyey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:24 pm

HH Dalai Lama also mentioned that if we can not obtain a copy of the Shikshasamucchaya he said we can study Nagarjuna's text by the same name. Do you by any chance know what it is? I think it is referred to as the 'Compendium of Practices' in English.
sangyey

Postby Will » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm

sangyey wrote:HH Dalai Lama also mentioned that if we can not obtain a copy of the Shikshasamucchaya he said we can study Nagarjuna's text by the same name. Do you by any chance know what it is? I think it is referred to as the 'Compendium of Practices' in English.

No, this text has disappeared. Nagarjuna supposedly wrote two works with the exact title as Shantideva.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby ground » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:08 pm

ground

Postby tobes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:17 am

Barbara Clayton has done a new translation and somewhat interesting commentary.

Published by Routledge I think.

:namaste:
tobes
Global Moderator

Postby Will » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:59 am

tobes wrote:Barbra Clayton has done a new translation and somewhat interesting commentary.

Published by Routledge [2006] I think.

:namaste:

Not a full translation, but a study of the moral aspects of some verses. Less than 160 pages.

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Moral_Theor ... /13099.htm
Will

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism