Shikshasamucchaya

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Shikshasamucchaya

Post by sangyey »

Does anybody know where I may be able to get a copy of Shantideva's other work 'Shikshasamucchaya'? His Holiness recommended that they should be studied together.

Thank you.

~Sangyey
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Shikshasamucchaya

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This old version is very dated but the only one, so far, in English:

Śikṣā Samuccaya: A Compendium of Buddhist Doctrine, translated by Cecil Bendall and W.H.D Rouse, 1922

The Geshe mentioned at this site is translating it, so maybe contact him and see if you can get a copy or at least find out when or if it will be published: http://www.tibethouse.us/programs/view/102258/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Oh wow! Okay thank you for the link.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

HH Dalai Lama also mentioned that if we can not obtain a copy of the Shikshasamucchaya he said we can study Nagarjuna's text by the same name. Do you by any chance know what it is? I think it is referred to as the 'Compendium of Practices' in English.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

sangyey wrote:HH Dalai Lama also mentioned that if we can not obtain a copy of the Shikshasamucchaya he said we can study Nagarjuna's text by the same name. Do you by any chance know what it is? I think it is referred to as the 'Compendium of Practices' in English.
No, this text has disappeared. Nagarjuna supposedly wrote two works with the exact title as Shantideva.
ground

Post by ground »

http://ia700202.us.archive.org/19/items ... 067mbp.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards
tobes

Post by tobes »

Barbara Clayton has done a new translation and somewhat interesting commentary.

Published by Routledge I think.

:namaste:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

tobes wrote:Barbra Clayton has done a new translation and somewhat interesting commentary.

Published by Routledge [2006] I think.

:namaste:
Not a full translation, but a study of the moral aspects of some verses. Less than 160 pages.

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Moral_Theor ... /13099.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Charles Goodman has a new, full translation titled Training Anthology, by Oxford Press.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”