Marines expanding use of meditation training

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
pueraeternus

Marines expanding use of meditation training

Post by pueraeternus »

samgrama-smriti?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... #pagebreak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
BrianG

Re: Marines expanding use of meditation training

Post by BrianG »

Having been in the Marine Corps infantry myself, I see this as positive. Anything that enables people with weapons to make more rational choices, is a good thing. Also, seeing as some of my friends came back psychologically destroyed, anything that can relieve the suffering of those who have been through hell, is also a good thing.

Brian
Telepaths - I like to kill them
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

What an awful thing to have to do, to have to maim and kill, but it seems that many of these people do not mind ? There is even a bloodlust, a liking perhaps ? Or people get accustomed e.g meat eaters do not see it as the animal, but just as meat to be eaten. Zen Dude, could you enlighten me on some of the psychology or experiences of combat forces if possible?

On the general topic, I think there can be various uses to meditation, not all meditation is of the Buddhist 'type' IMO.

Abu
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Zen Dude wrote:Having been in the Marine Corps infantry myself, I see this as positive. Anything that enables people with weapons to make more rational choices, is a good thing. Also, seeing as some of my friends came back psychologically destroyed, anything that can relieve the suffering of those who have been through hell, is also a good thing.

Brian
I am not sure if such training would result in more rational choices. But I guess at least they will be less likely to be gripped by terror and end up shooting indiscriminately.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher

Return to “Media”