tiredness

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

tiredness

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I have two young kids that I am primary childcare for, and plenty of other responsibilities in addition... I'm often exhausted.

Anyone have some general advice for meditating when tired?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Yudron

Re: tiredness

Post by Yudron »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I have two young kids that I am primary childcare for, and plenty of other responsibilities in addition... I'm often exhausted.

Anyone have some general advice for meditating when tired?
I take a 10 min nap first, preventively. One can drink black tea then quickly take a nap and the caffeine will wake you up when it kicks in. Then one is fresh.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

A classical instruction is to remove some clothes, so you're cool, sit on a high place, and gaze a little upward... and also drink tea.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Buckets of green tea, here I come. Thanks Yudron.

-Khunu Lama
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Start taking a daily vitamin D supplement. Many people in our current age simply don't get enough sunlight or foods rich in vitamin D, and one of the symptoms is chronic fatigue as well as feeling a little blue. If it's exhaustion from keeping up with little ones, you might do your long meditations in the morning then save a few simple, short sessions for the evening. 10 mins of engaged practice is better than 30 minutes of falling asleep practice!

Also, including at least 9 prostrations while taking refuge at the start of each meditation session can help wake you up some :)

When I start falling asleep while meditating, I read that Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche suggests visualizing a white lotus shining like the moon in the core of your chest sending white sparkles upward. Conversely if your mind is too lively, you can picture a black lotus facing downward sending dark light into the ground.

Or try looking up with your eyes only (keep your head level) and visualizing a bright white light above your head until the fatigue passes. Three deep, vigorous breaths can also help.

Worst case, open your eyes wide and look around in circles, slap your cheeks, switch to standing or walking meditation.

Awareness of sleepiness and its effects can be good, but only get you so far if your body is about to crap out on you!

Good luck :sage:
Namu Amida Butsu
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

You might have to take the time out of your meditation period unless you can get more time-off from kids, but what works for me is similar to Yudron, which is a 15 min nap. Any more, and I'll just sleep through, so I set an alarm. I don't drink coffee and seldom black tea, so I take two chewable baby aspirin, which also tends to dilate blood vessels. Then, a few deep breaths and start with a few minutes of ordinary awareness before whatever your routine normally is.

If I'm not totally wrung out, this usually works.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Thanks all, I tried just adjusting my gaze today and visualizing a light at the crown today, as well as some green tea before kid nap time/meditation time and it worked pretty ok.

Duck, i'm in the PNW too. so...i'm already on the D lol, kind of have to when you see the sun 3 months out of the year. I even own a light box just for seasonal affective disorder heh ;)

-Khunu Lama
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:woohoo: I often wonder if I've run into Dharma Wheel people in the various places I've gone without realizing it :P If you're ever down in Portland, I really recommend Kagyu Changchub Chuling. Really wonderful lama and people.
Namu Amida Butsu
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I'll be traveling up to the new Saraha Nyingma center in Eugene in the coming year, I think. So come on down and say hi sometime.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Funnily enough, I am in Eugene semi regularly, and go through Portland every time so yeah...maybe i'll check out both!

-Khunu Lama
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

I live on the South Coast of Oregon, where there are no nearby Buddhist centers. I am a member of Kagyu Sukha Choling in Ashland, and travel there as often as possible, now with the bad weather I will probably wait until Spring for a visit. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here. :smile:
Lise
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

lisehull wrote:I live on the South Coast of Oregon, where there are no nearby Buddhist centers. I am a member of Kagyu Sukha Choling in Ashland, and travel there as often as possible, now with the bad weather I will probably wait until Spring for a visit. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here. :smile:
Lise
one of the most beautiful places on this earth!
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Try vitamin B & Q10 suppliments. These help boost alertness without the nasty effects of caffeine. I've never had a problem with meditating whilst tired, but trying to fit it in these days is more difficult.

Gassho,
Seishin.
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

I am very lazy :) but the reality is a little cardiovascular exercise a day does wonders for the immune system and general health/well-being. Time is short but even 10 minutes can help and it is usually more do-able to a resistant mind :hug:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

floating_abu wrote:I am very lazy :) but the reality is a little cardiovascular exercise a day does wonders for the immune system and general health/well-being. Time is short but even 10 minutes can help and it is usually more do-able to a resistant mind :hug:
That first bit sounds like me :emb: but your suggestion loops back to the OP like this: I find ten minutes of gentle exercise good before meditation when I'm tired but have been physically inactive. Starting with walking meditation will help but I like Qi Gong even better. Either way, the body is awake when I sit down.

:namaste:
Kim
greentara

Post by greentara »

Take the natural path. When tired or sleepy get a bit of shut-eye. When feeling fresh, alert and motivated... grab the opportunity and meditate.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Um, I have a three year old and six month old, I take care of them regularly.

Simply getting sleep when I need it is off the table until they are a bit older, which is the source of my conundrum;)

-Khunu Lama
greentara

Post by greentara »

johnny, I understand. When my children were really small all my emotions and energy was centered on the kids. You have to be realistic the children demand alot of your time. So perhaps you'll have to meditate less for awhile until they're bigger and both at kinder. Meanwhile sleep if you get an opening or chance then meditate even if its for 10 minutes.
You'll really have to go with the natural flow of events in a family situation.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

greentara wrote:johnny, I understand. When my children were really small all my emotions and energy was centered on the kids. You have to be realistic the children demand alot of your time. So perhaps you'll have to meditate less for awhile until they're bigger and both at kinder. Meanwhile sleep if you get an opening or chance then meditate even if its for 10 minutes.
You'll really have to go with the natural flow of events in a family situation.
It's kind of a catch 22, i've been getting in about 2 20-30m hour periods a day, one while they nap, and one after they go to bed. Hard to do, but i'm more sane if I do it, and it makes parenting easier. The biggest hurdles so far are tiredness and the fact that i'm always worried about them waking up.

-Khunu Lama
windsweptliberty

Post by windsweptliberty »

Oh, I feel for you. Once I was so tired I fell forward and hit my forehead on the floor. Hahahaha...Since, I seem to stay awake.

Return to “Meditation”