"Method" (vs "Wisdom") -- where does the term come from?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
djlewis

"Method" (vs "Wisdom") -- where does the term come from?

Post by djlewis »

I can't find the source of the term "Method" for the Bodhicitta side of the Mahayana, as opposed to "Wisdom". Anybody know:
  • Who first used/invented/translated it?
  • What Tibetan and Sanskrit terms it translates?
  • What the overtones are of those terms?
  • How it makes sense in terms of compassion, Bodhicitta, etc?
  • References -- I haven't been able to find any that actually discuss where the translated term comes from
Thanks. --David
Yudron

Re: "Method" (vs "Wisdom") -- where does the term come from?

Post by Yudron »

djlewis wrote:I can't find the source of the term "Method" for the Bodhicitta side of the Mahayana, as opposed to "Wisdom". Anybody know:
  • Who first used/invented/translated it?
  • What Tibetan and Sanskrit terms it translates?
  • What the overtones are of those terms?
  • How it makes sense in terms of compassion, Bodhicitta, etc?
  • References -- I haven't been able to find any that actually discuss where the translated term comes from
Thanks. --David

The terms are Thabs (method, technique) and Shes rab (transcendent knowingness, or many various translations) in Tibetan. BTW if you google these terms the Rangjyung Yeshe Dictionary translations will pop up. These come from upaya and prajna in Sanskrit. I'm sure they were translated by earliest Tibetan translation team, said to be Vairotsana et al, because these are common terms.
futerko

Post by futerko »

There's the Pali word "kusala" which has been rendered as; clever, skilful, expert; good, right, meritorious, wholesome (and its antonym "akusala").
It is most often translated as skilful in terms of karmic consequences, movement towards liberation, and in reducing suffering, rather than other terms which might suggest a kind of external moral judgment. It has been suggested that in this sense the idea of what is skilful may also be viewed as wise action.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/et ... kusala.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djlewis

Post by djlewis »

Great... very helpful... thanks.

So "method" is basically the "means" in "skillful means". And the "skillful" is "kusala", which has many positive connotations, including "meritorious".

I'm still interested to know how the English "method" got started and became so widespread, at least in "method and wisdom". I don't think I have ever seen "means and wisdom".

--David
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

djlewis wrote:Great... very helpful... thanks.

So "method" is basically the "means" in "skillful means". And the "skillful" is "kusala", which has many positive connotations, including "meritorious".

I'm still interested to know how the English "method" got started and became so widespread, at least in "method and wisdom". I don't think I have ever seen "means and wisdom".

--David
Hmmm... I mostly hear skillful means and wisdom. These terms are used a lot in Vajrayana Buddhism in several different contexts all related to the dynamic between the masculine and feminine wisdom principles. I don't know how the terms are used in the Mahayana.

In general, it's good to learn common terms in Tibetan to avoid the confusion that comes from reading different translations of the same terms. It's actually much simpler that way.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”