YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

People that are considered saints in our time? - Dhamma Wheel

People that are considered saints in our time?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
whynotme

People that are considered saints in our time?

Postby whynotme » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Dear all,

At the time when the Buddha lived there were many saints, but now a day they are very rare, in human form, of course. Could you list people that widely considered at least entered the steam in our time? If I have a chance I will met them.

Regards.
Please stop following me

Ytrog

Re: People that are considered saints in our time?

Postby Ytrog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 pm

It is not widely known which attainment any of the monks these days have as they aren't allowed to talk about that with lay people. :anjali:

Disclaimer: I can't seem to find a definitive source on this. A quick search in the Pāṭimokkha gave me only the Pārājika rule about falsely claiming attainments, however it does not mention to whom the claim had to be made. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ti.html#pr http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#robbery

whynotme

Re: People that are considered saints in our time?

Postby whynotme » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 am

Dear Ytrog,

There isn't any rule forbid a person to talk about his enlightenment.

I found that while reading suttas allows me to understand the dhamma, reading the patimokha is very interesting as well, because there are a lot of history and stories in it, and it allows me to understand how a normal person reacts to a normal life.

Before reading patimokha, I always distinguish monks with bad actions and not respect them. But after reading it, I respect normal monks better because I know the limit the Buddha allow his disciplines. Once I thought monks that lied, killing animals, using alcohol,.. should not be considered monks, but after reading patimokha, only killing humans, stealing value things, having sex and falsely claim noblemen status stop them as a monk.

Monks isn't allowed to show their supernatural powers to lay people, that is the rule.

Regards.
Please stop following me

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”