YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Goenka: a bodhisatta? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Goenka: a bodhisatta?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
khaaan

Re: Goenka: a bodhisatta?

Postby khaaan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:41 am

Greetings Khaan,

See this existing topic...

The Bodhisatta's Path from the Theravada perspective
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5874

... and the links contained therein.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

khaaan

Postby khaaan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:20 am

Thanks, Retro. It should be possible to formulate a claim that someone is not/was not a bodhisatta in terms of something which:
(a) is said to be true of all bodhisattas, meanwhile
(b) that same thing is said to not to be true of that particular person.

(For instance, "all fish have gills, Mickey Mouse has no gills, therefore Mickey Mouse is not a fish.")

To this end, I searched for but found no mentions of the string "khin" in any of the links in the thread you referenced, so it would seem that those sources contain at best only part "(a)" of the technicality to which Ben is referring. I am hoping for a pointer that would narrow down the search for the specific information on (b) as it relates to this question.
Last edited by khaaan on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:30 am

Hi Khaaan

The technicality I was refering to is that someone who is an ariya cannot be a bodhisatta.
U Ba Khin is widely regarded by his disciples and many within Myanmar as an ariya.
When I met U Ba Khin's son earlier this year we talked at length about his father and his teaching and Dhamma service.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

khaaan

Postby khaaan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:08 am

I hadn't heard that piece of info about U Ba Khin. Thanks for sharing it, Ben; now I see what you mean. I, and I'm sure many others, would be interested to hear of any recollections from U Ba Khin's son that would be appropriate to share here.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:34 am

I was in Burma for six weeks from late Nov to early Jan this year. I attended a 30-day course up in Mandalay and before and after the course I was on a short yatra. I visited IMC three times with two different groups of assistant teachers who I met serendipidously while in Burma. On the first visit I was invited to stay for lunch who I shared with the assistant teachers I was with and some old students of U Ba Khin. On the second visit, someone from management took us (the american ATs and myself) to U Ba Khin's teacher's (Saya Thet Gyi) centre in a small village across the Yangon River.

During my third visit to IMC Yangon in January I was with a diffrent group of teachers. I was invited to meditate in Goenkaji's old meditation cell. Then as a rare honour to me and the assistant teachers I was with, the management of IMC opened up the shrine room in the top central cell of the pagoda which was accessible via U Ba Khin's cell. While we were at the Centre a call came through and it was U Ba Khin's son who invited us to his home for tea.

Tea turned into a lavish five-course Burmese lunch. During and after lunch, the family photo albums came out - and the stories. Amazing photos of Sayagi with Goenkaji, John Coleman and his wife, Webu Sayadaw at IMC, photos of the seminar U Ba Khin gave to Ben Gurion and the Israeli delegation (1961) and also photos in upper Burma when Sayagi took robes with U Ko Lay under Webu Sayadaw. There were also photos of IMC Rangoon being built and some of the other IMC centres.

A biography of U Ba Khin is in post-production. In January it was being translatd from Burmese to English. As soon as I find out when its published and available, I will inform our members with details on where they will be able to purchase it.

Then the night before my last day in Yangon I was invited to BL Goenka's (U Shwe's) house for dinner with an AT couple from Alaska as well as another old student from Japan. The Alaskan couple were in Burma to serve on a ten-day course at Dhamma Joti and I ws just there at the right time to have the invitation to dinner extended to me. U Shwe is the director of the Vipassana in Prisons program in Myanmar and as I sat next to him at dinner, I was able to ask him about the program. As his English isn't good, a young Indian woman was translating.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

khaaan

Postby khaaan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:11 am

Fantastic. Looking forward to the book.

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 am

Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

khaaan

Postby khaaan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:36 pm

He means never heard before in this life.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:54 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

U Bah kin and the next Buddha:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/metteya/arimet00.htm
:anjali:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 am

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 am

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 am

The more interesting question would be authenticity. A very different issue.

And then the subsidiary question of the best way of making use of such mythological teachings.

:anjali:
Mike

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 am

as for me: throw in the trash can

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”