Benefits of Metta

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Benefits of Metta

Postby buddhaflower » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Dear all -

11 benefits of practicing Metta (loving kindness) meditation:

1.You will sleep easily
2.You will wake easily
3.You will have pleasant dreams
4.People will love you
5. Devas (gods or angels) and animals will love you
6.Devas will protect you
7.External dangers, such as poisons, weapons, and fire, will not harm you
8.Your face will be radiant
9.Your mind will be serene
10.You will die unconfused
11.You will be re-born in happy realms (from Anguttara Nikaya 11.16)

******** :heart:
User avatar
buddhaflower
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby Nosta » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Where can i find complete but interesting information on metta meditation? thanks :namaste:
User avatar
Nosta
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby buddhaflower » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 am

Nosta wrote:Where can i find complete but interesting information on metta meditation? thanks :namaste:


Dear Nosta,

I truly like this "Guided Meditation - Loving Kindness" video clip, I feel so peaceful when listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDsbXr9 ... re=related

And I have a Metta Song for you too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5JAVk3Qwi8

******* :heart:
User avatar
buddhaflower
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby tomamundsen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 am

buddhaflower wrote:Dear all -

11 benefits of practicing Metta (loving kindness) meditation:

1.You will sleep easily
2.You will wake easily
3.You will have pleasant dreams
4.People will love you
5. Devas (gods or angels) and animals will love you
6.Devas will protect you
7.External dangers, such as poisons, weapons, and fire, will not harm you
8.Your face will be radiant
9.Your mind will be serene
10.You will die unconfused
11.You will be re-born in happy realms (from Anguttara Nikaya 11.16)

******** :heart:

Do you have a source for this or is it original?
User avatar
tomamundsen
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby buddhaflower » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 am

tomamundsen wrote:
buddhaflower wrote:Dear all -

11 benefits of practicing Metta (loving kindness) meditation:

1.You will sleep easily
2.You will wake easily
3.You will have pleasant dreams
4.People will love you
5. Devas (gods or angels) and animals will love you
6.Devas will protect you
7.External dangers, such as poisons, weapons, and fire, will not harm you
8.Your face will be radiant
9.Your mind will be serene
10.You will die unconfused
11.You will be re-born in happy realms (from Anguttara Nikaya 11.16)

******** :heart:

Do you have a source for this or is it original?


Dear tomamundsen,

I got it from Metta Sutta by Bhikkhu Thanissaro

****** :heart:
User avatar
buddhaflower
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm


Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby catmoon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:56 am

I used to do small amounts of metta meditation and guess what ... Benefits 1-4 and 9 actually occurred. I can't vouch for the others, cuz I don't know any devas, but that thing about fire is odd.

You see, a couple of weeks ago I bumped my finger into a red hot stove element. There was a puff of smoke and I heard it go SSSSSSST! I looked at it, surprised by the lack of pain, and I thought "In a few minutes this is REALLY going to hurt". But it didn't. When I went to bed I thought "In the morning this thing will hurt like blazes". But it never did. Two weeks later a chunk of toasted skin fell off and that was it. All better.

Does that count?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby lobster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 am

:woohoo:

One can not have enough metta. Give it all away (dedicate the merit) and get a fresh load as a return. Win, Win. :twothumbsup:
User avatar
lobster
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby Nosta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks for the links!
User avatar
Nosta
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Benefits of Metta

Postby viniketa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 am

lobster wrote::woohoo:

One can not have enough metta. Give it all away (dedicate the merit) and get a fresh load as a return. Win, Win. :twothumbsup:


:twothumbsup:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
User avatar
viniketa
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 am
Location: USA


Return to Personal Experience

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

>