Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 am
Posts: 148
In Taoism there is the concept of Jing-Qi-Shen (Essence-Vital Energy - Spirit), where Shen is the spirit that animates a corpse to make a living sentient being. I think this Shen is not the same as Soul which is supposed to be permanent entity which transmigrates (as in Hinduism).

Does this concept of Shen/Spirit find any place in Buddhism? People say that someone with penetrating sharp eyes has a strong spirit. This does make intuitive sense to me.

If there is a concept of Spirit in Buddhism what it is called and what is the theory? Dharmata? Prana?

Of course in some sects of Taoism, there is just not one spirit within a human body but many like "Po", "Li", "Hung" etc residing in different Organs while having different functions. I find this theory pretty fascinating and some of it does make sense to me. Is it contradictory to what Buddhism proposes?


AFAIK, even Buddhists do not deny that some human beings after death do not transmigrate immediately and their spirit gets stuck on Earth for a long time because of their attachment towards worldly life or the nature of their death (sudden accident for example). This perfectly fits with the traditions of ancestor worship found all over the world. After all, if the being gets a new birth somewhere, whom are their descendants worshiping anyway?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 1355
Well, in Tibetan Buddhism Lung is the energy that keeps the person alive. Wangtang is the 'aura' you can sense in some people.

Quote:
AFAIK, even Buddhists do not deny that some human beings after death do not transmigrate immediately and their spirit gets stuck on Earth for a long time because of their attachment towards worldly life or the nature of their death (sudden accident for example). This perfectly fits with the traditions of ancestor worship found all over the world.
Only in some sects, and even then people only stay for a month or so at most.

Quote:
After all, if the being gets a new birth somewhere, whom are their descendants worshiping anyway?
Spirits looking for offerings.

_________________
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 am
Posts: 148
I was referring to these:

Shen: The Spirit of Fire — Inspiration, Insight, Awareness, and Compassion

Hun: The Spirit of Wood — Vision, Imagination, Direction, and Benevolence

Yi: The Spirit of Earth — Integrity, Intention, Clear Thought, and Devotion

Po: The Spirit of Metal — Animal Wit, Embodied Knowing, Receptivity, and Appreciation

Zhi: The Spirit of Water — Instinctual Power, Courage, Will, and Wisdom

http://www.fivespirits.com/fivespirits.php

Clearly these spirits are not the "Soul" of the Hindus and Tirthikas. Can a Buddhist also believe in this theory of five spirits?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 am
Posts: 185
Location: The Middle of Nowhere
Rakshasa wrote:
I was referring to these:

Shen: The Spirit of Fire — Inspiration, Insight, Awareness, and Compassion

Hun: The Spirit of Wood — Vision, Imagination, Direction, and Benevolence

Yi: The Spirit of Earth — Integrity, Intention, Clear Thought, and Devotion

Po: The Spirit of Metal — Animal Wit, Embodied Knowing, Receptivity, and Appreciation

Zhi: The Spirit of Water — Instinctual Power, Courage, Will, and Wisdom

http://www.fivespirits.com/fivespirits.php

Clearly these spirits are not the "Soul" of the Hindus and Tirthikas. Can a Buddhist also believe in this theory of five spirits?


I think so.I belief trees,rocks,mountains,and other such things possess a spirit.Not a soul,mind you.But an animate spirit that lives in the spirit realm.

_________________
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heart and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group