YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hello Buddhists. - Dhamma Wheel

Hello Buddhists.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Resurrectus

Hello Buddhists.

Postby Resurrectus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 am

I'm not sure that I will ever become a Buddhist, nor that I am at this point in time prepared to study Buddhism. I am not religious in any form, but I am brought here by my open mindedness, my increasingly concurring 'views' with those that I hear from Buddhism, and ultimately, my hunger for learning.

I consider myself to be living in a world inhabited by sleeping automatons. At least this is irrefutably so within my immediate vicinity.
I, for one, find it more than mere coincidence that the semantical origins of Buddhism translate literally to 'awaken', and that its teachings concur so immensely with my own personal views in matters such as materialism, to name the least of them. Of course, I refer to the same materialism, which, needles to say, is saturated into the very nature of this society, and the lives of the sleepy population that are victims of it. I also find it more than mere coincidence that, within the context of Buddhism's views on materialism, and those held of it by the rest of society, Buddhists, in general, tend to be the happiest and most peaceful people, whilst the "successful" and "wealthy" millionaires of this society reach for their antidepressants as they review the day's finance.

Anyhow. I am, despite my knowledge, an in-perfect human, after all, and one who is partly a product of this society at that. This is namely where my personality ceases to reflect the views held by Buddhism. Where I see the masters in complete rejection of all that is worldly, and caring only to meditate and further their own and other's spiritual enlightenment, I do, care, very much so for many of these worldly things; namely, worldly knowledge, wisdom, logic, philosophy, and such. With this in mind, I ask you if my worldly idiosyncrasies and longings are............ let's say, 'compatible' with the teachings of Buddhism.

I look forward to your thoughts on this, and perhaps other matters, if indeed I comfort myself here permanently. If that is so, I look forward to teaching something to you, and learning something from you.

Thank you.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Hello Buddhists.

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:23 am

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:39 am

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:41 am

welcometo dhammawheel :smile: - I hope to see you on the forum and I hope you learn much of the Dhamma. :group:

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Planet_Mu

Postby Planet_Mu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi & Welcome!

I think you'll find that your "worldly idiosyncrasies and longings" are 'compatible' with the teachings of Buddha if they comprise of "worldly knowledge, wisdom, logic, philosophy, and such". You are wrong if you think that Buddhism rejects these values. In fact these are very important aspects of the Buddha's teachings. Rejecting such would be ignorance, and Buddhism does not do ignorance, quite the opposite in fact. I recommend doing a youtube search for Alan Watts, he's the person I have to thank for getting me interested in the teachings of Buddha. He explains Buddhism, Tao, Zen, eastern philosophy and "religion" (for lack of a better word) very effectively for the western layperson new to Buddha's teachings.

Also, in my view labels/pigeon-holes and the connotations, preconceptions, stereotypes that they invariably conjure-up are not so helpful. I do not call myself a Buddhist even though I follow the teachings of the Buddha, as this creates a "me/us & them" mindset, divisions. You do not have to "convert" to Buddhism to benefit from his teachings. Buddha is not a god (unless you see everyone & everything as a component of God, not separate from or below) just a man, a very wise man, but a simple man non-the-less. There are no doctrines you must abide by, no rules to follow as such, nothing you have to believe in. It is not like a religion in the same terms as Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc. You can be an atheist and benefit from "Buddhism" or a Christian and benefit from "Buddhism", etc. Meditation & Mindfulness are beneficial to all. Self discovery is the key aim. Awakening from this game that we have created ourselves, the game of society/culture, being slaves of the egoic mind, identifying ourselves only with thoughts & objects of the mind.

"I am, despite my knowledge, an in-perfect human" - The Buddha taught original perfection, not original sin. We are hindered by a dualistic mindset created by our social conditioning in the west.

I hope you will follow your thirst for knowledge and gain wisdom from it. Question everything, accept nothing.

:anjali: Matt

zavk

Postby zavk » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Hello and welcome
With metta,
zavk

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Welcome Resurrectus!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

shjohnk

Postby shjohnk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:02 am

Welcome to Dhammawheel! I think you'll find that you don't have to label yourself a Buddhist to benefit from the teachings.

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:25 am

Welcome :)

Resurrectus

Postby Resurrectus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Planet_Mu

Postby Planet_Mu » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 am

Yes, except truth - accept truth! The truth which is already within you, waiting to be discovered and realised. :meditate: (Again, I don't mean reject the quest for knowledge and wisdom, just that clinging to concepts and ideas as absolute truth can hinder one and lead to delusion. As in science, all are theories, nothing is set in stone, a true scientist questions everything and is never sure of anything; the quest/journey for knowledge is never ending. The only absolute truth is the real "self", not the world fabricated in the mind by the ego).

This is a great flash animation produced by South Park creators Matt Stone & Trey Parker of selected nuggets from some of Alan Watts lectures:

Return to “Introductions”