YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Weekly Dana Club (Anyone Interested?) - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Weekly Dana Club (Anyone Interested?)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Weekly Dana Club (Anyone Interested?)

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 am

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Basileaux

Postby Basileaux » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:21 am

This is a really good thing to do. I used to put a can by my bed and every Uposatha I'd stick money in it with the intention of giving it to Luangta or Lumpoo Lii in Thailand. Middle of last year I sent off some money to Luangta's American non-profit in Hawaii which responded by sending me all these flyers about Wat Pah Colorado. This made me think the money went to the monastery rather than Luangta. Beginning of this year I gave my can to a friend who was going to Thailand to give to a respected monk I knew (Ajaan Nippon in Loei anyone know him?). I thought a trip to Pa Deng might be too far for him, but he went the extra mile and got the money to Lumpoo Lii.. which means he probably got more merit than I did since giving is based on intention ;).

Anyhow, winter was jobless for me, so I had to discontinue the can b/c things were getting really tight. May I spent in Virginia helping out a Western monk scope out land for a monastery (anyone know Ajaan Dick of the Luangta lineage?), and now that I'm working I might be able to get back into the can idea - or something similar. Problem is I'm thinking of re-ordaining and may need the money to travel and such.. But I'll keep this in mind. When I get self-absorbed, or unhappy, Recollecting Dana is an incredible medicine for those negative mental states. I rejoice the very fact that I encountered the teaching and have the chance to practice Dana. May we continue along the path

befriend

Postby befriend » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:26 pm

i just finished transcribing a buddhist audio talk into written format so people can have more comprehension when there learning the dhamma.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:29 pm

Amunodana on your meritorious act, befriend!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:22 am

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

befriend

Postby befriend » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 am

i also think what makes an action dana is the attitude behind it. we can always mow the lawn, do the dishes, sweep the floor, vacuum etc...so if we do it with the intention of removing others suffering this will be kusala. so we dont have to have a million dollars to build a childrens hospital, but we can try to always be thinking..."how can i help others right now" this should be our attitude to create pleasant conditions.

befriend

Postby befriend » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:41 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:46 am

Its an expression of sympathetic joy similar to 'congratulations'
http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... odana.html
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:12 am

I applaud everyone's dana activities. :clap: If you're looking for a way to offer dana on a daily basis, Care2.com and The Hunger Site have click-to-donate programs. For every click you make, sponsors donate money to charities that help to feed the hungry, advocate for the rights of women and children, protect the environment, and so on.

http://www.care2.com/

http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGiv ... s?siteId=1

With metta,
Andrea
Alliance for Bhikkunis - http://www.bhikkhuni.net/

Dhammadharini - https://sites.google.com/site/dhammadharini/

Songdhammakalayani Bhikkhuni Arama - http://www.thaibhikkhunis.org/eng/

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:03 am

-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:47 am

I just donated to Kiva in honor of Asalha Puja Day. Sukhitaa hontu!
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

wahooyeeha

Postby wahooyeeha » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm

This is a wonderful idea! My dana has been mostly sporadic -- after a retreat, or when I'm paying other bills and so on. This is a great way to make it a more regular practice. And I just learned a wonderful new word, anumodana! My daughter (she's 8) recently told me she wanted to sponsor a child through the charity Plan USA, . I found a girl my daughter's age that was in the program, and we received her picture and some information on her village. We wrote a letter, and I'm hoping she'll have a new friend. It's a wonderful charity, but I've noticed that the money is withdrawn from my account automatically, and I sometimes I don't think about it. More frequent giving, albeit in smaller amounts, is a nice way to stay mindful of dana.

I hope this finds you all well.

Anumodana!

-wy

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm on vacation in Jamaica so I missed the uposatha but just made my weekly dana here: http://kiva.org/invitedby/michael81721951
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

wahooyeeha

Postby wahooyeeha » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Hello Friends,

The situation in Somalia and Kenya is truly grave. I suggest as they are secular and have an excellent Administrative/Program cost ratio, so donations go farther.

-WY

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 pm

-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Well done, KB!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

wahooyeeha

Postby wahooyeeha » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 am

My dana lately has been for my family. My parents need money -- quite a shock, that. The tough part is that my father is getting older, is on pain medication and isn't thinking that clearly, yet he is so proud and stubborn he won't really discuss his financial problems with me. It's very frustrating. I'm going to try and get them a financial councilor so that his pride might be spared with an independent professional, and I'd get a realistic assessment of their situation. Seeing how he suffers from clinging to his pride reminds me of those sections in the Maha Satipatthana Sutta that speak of externals, like remaining focused externally on mental factors, etc. I know the commentaries have a different take on those sections, but I can't help but learn from his suffering, external to mine. The money seems so temporary; I hope he attains more lasting peace.

I hope this finds you all well.

-Wy

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:59 am

Maha-karuna to you and your family! May your father look after himself with ease! :heart:
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”