Curious Chinese painting.

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Curious Chinese painting.

Postby Indrajala » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm

I found an interesting 9th century Chinese painting with two interesting features. Firstly, the Indian figures look sufficiently Indian (as opposed to really Chinese like they are often portrayed). The second is that Maudgalyāyana is quite fair compared to his companions. The Buddha of course is golden in colour.

Here Maudgalyāyana is on the left and Śāriputra is on the right with bodhisattvas on the far sides.

I imagine the artist read that Maudgalyāyana was fair skinned. Śāriputra also has really big eyes.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Re: Curious Chinese painting.

Postby Rakshasa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 pm

The one on the left looks Mongoloid to me (Chinese?).

Sariputra was an Indo-Aryan Brahmin so I wont be surprised if the tradition is that he was fair complexioned. Back in those days, the Indo-Aryans had still not mixed with the people of Magadha....
Rakshasa

Postby pueraeternus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Huseng wrote:The second is that Maudgalyāyana is quite fair compared to his companions. The Buddha of course is golden in colour.

Interesting! Actually, in the Sri Lanka tradition, Maudgalyayana is depicted as dark blue-skinned (according to the Buddhavamsa):

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby Indrajala » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 am

Rakshasa wrote:The one on the left looks Mongoloid to me (Chinese?).

Sariputra was an Indo-Aryan Brahmin so I wont be surprised if the tradition is that he was fair complexioned. Back in those days, the Indo-Aryans had still not mixed with the people of Magadha....

Śāriputra is the second from the far right. Maudgalyāyana is the fair skinned one.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby plwk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:18 am

Śāriputra also has really big eyes.
Maybe he saw something shocking.... :mrgreen:
plwk

Postby Kaji » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:24 am

Interestingly, the colour of Maudgalyāyana's sarira is dark brown (bottom), while Śāriputra's is light grey (top):
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Kaji

Postby Ukigumo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 am

Huseng wrote:I imagine the artist read that Maudgalyāyana was fair skinned. Śāriputra also has really big eyes.

He looks like an anime character...

All compound phenomena are like a dream;
a phantom, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning
That is how to meditate on them
That is how to observe them
Ukigumo

Return to Exploring Buddhism