Why doesnt monks and nuns exercise?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
mrbambocha

Why doesnt monks and nuns exercise?

Post by mrbambocha »

Why doesnt monks and nuns exercise since all the science show us how benifitial excercise is. (I dont count daily work as exercise, I mean something like yoga, or lifting weights/bodyweight)
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Why doesnt monks and nuns exercise?

Post by Huseng »

Exercise is fine. Walking exercise was talk by the Buddha.

Running is against the rules.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huseng wrote: Running is against the rules.
Oh - this is in the Vinaya?
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

pueraeternus wrote:
Huseng wrote: Running is against the rules.
Oh - this is in the Vinaya?
One Chinese monk explained it to me like this: "It looks bad for us to run in robes."
mrbambocha

Post by mrbambocha »

It looks bad for us to run in robes.
Isnt the philosophy that there is no good or bad? That also mean that one is judging.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

mrbambocha wrote:
It looks bad for us to run in robes.
Isnt the philosophy that there is no good or bad? That also mean that one is judging.
There's also conventional reality that we have to live in where decorum is important if you rely on the good charity of the community.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Huseng wrote:Exercise is fine. Walking exercise was talk by the Buddha.
Running is against the rules.
Not to go off topic, but where do you think traditional Shaolin Chan fits into the picture?
I'm talking the old stuff, not the modern day gymnasts.
AFAIK jogging was a part of their old regimen, along with fetching water up the hill, wearing heavy shoes, taolu, and various gung trainings...

And where does that put the marathon monks of Japan?

Just curious, because with my long relationship with martial arts, the more physical forms of meditation come more naturally.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huseng wrote: One Chinese monk explained it to me like this: "It looks bad for us to run in robes."
I see. Is this in one of the qinggui (pure rules), or just an unspoken decorum rules?
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

They do! Some monks do like upwards of 1,000 bows (prostrations) per day. Full prostrations are very good exercise. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTk929t3oFE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

PorkChop wrote: Not to go off topic, but where do you think traditional Shaolin Chan fits into the picture?
I'm talking the old stuff, not the modern day gymnasts.
AFAIK jogging was a part of their old regimen, along with fetching water up the hill, wearing heavy shoes, taolu, and various gung trainings...
Shaolin monks were unpopular with at least some more orthodox authors like Zongze 宗賾 (11th - 12th cent.). It seems they ignored the Chan rules as laid down by Baizhang.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

pueraeternus wrote:
Huseng wrote: One Chinese monk explained it to me like this: "It looks bad for us to run in robes."
I see. Is this in one of the qinggui (pure rules), or just an unspoken decorum rules?
There are many many decorum rules.

I'd have to double check, but if I recall correctly it is on the list.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I believe I heard that Shechen monastery, Nepal, has a gym.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

While this is during a short term ordination, I believe the full time monastics also jog. This is an innovation of the late Master Miao Lian of Ling Yan Mountain Monastery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmVViF2 ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

HH Drukchen Rinpoche's Kung-Fu nuns in Ladakh.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I think yoga (trul khor) exercises also exist in all Tibetan lineages -- the Vairo trul khor (Yantra Yoga as ChNN prefers to call it) has 108 different movements.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Master Hsing Yun at Foguang Shan encourages his monks and novices to play basketball, Hsing Yun himself has played basketball, has built basketball grounds for his students, and has given teachings on the benefits of playing basketball in the book Bright Star, Luminous Cloud: The Life of a Simple Monk. The role of sports in Foguang Shan is also discussed in Establishing a Pureland On Earth, The Foguang Buddhist Perspective.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There is also the practice of pilgrimages, on foot that is, and the Three Steps One Bow type of pilgrimages, and the walking pilgrimages of HH Gyalwang Drukpa.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

When I lived across the field from Tharlam Monastery in Boudha, I used to watch the monks take off their robes and revela football/soccer garb underneath. They would run around for hours playing football. There was also a basketball court and a volleyball court inside the walls of the monastery. So those monks definitely exercised and ran, just not in robes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Icy4bwvHgQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about that, above the link with the kung-fu nuns.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Prostrations are good exercise.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”