How many Bodhisattva can dance on the head of a pin?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Red Faced Buddha

How many Bodhisattva can dance on the head of a pin?

Post by Red Faced Buddha »

Ever heard of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"well,how many Bodhisattva can dance on the head of a pin?
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: How many Bodhisattva can dance on the head of a pin?

Post by Huseng »

Immeasurable like grains of sand in a trillion Ganges Rivers.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Roland

Post by Roland »

For how long? An incomprehensibly immense number of incalculable kalpas.
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Depends on how big the pin head is.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Red Faced Buddha wrote:Ever heard of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"well,how many Bodhisattva can dance on the head of a pin?
One, then he has to pull a pin out of his foot.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

A funny thing happened. I went to Dharamsala and after some waiting, got a brief audience with the Dalai Lama. I bowed deeply, produced a pin and asked him to dance on it. It seems my Tibetan is rather worse than I thought, and expert speakers of the language have since told me that what I actually said was something closer to suggesting an act that, while not actually anatomically impossible, would nonetheless have been exceedingly uncomfortable were anyone to actually attempt it. I remember the door bursting open and the security guys charging in.

When I regained consciousness, I was in a cell in McLeod Ganj jail and bandaged from head to foot. There is nothing here a Westerner would call food and they keep putting yak butter in my tea. They think it's funny, I suppose. I've had some time to think about karma these last few months and I have concluded that the karma that follows from asking questions like "How many bodhisattvas can dance on the head of a pin" is very bad indeed.

Please send money. Or food. Maybe a nail file?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Here catty....I haz ice krem...wanna share? Image
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Amazingly, there is a wikipedia page on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_a ... f_a_pin%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Lounge”