YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Adhiṭṭhāna - what are you determined to achieve? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Adhiṭṭhāna - what are you determined to achieve?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
kirk5a

Re: Adhiṭṭhāna - what are you determined to achieve?

Postby kirk5a » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:18 am

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 pm

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm renewing my resolution to meditate every day for 1 more month.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:10 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 am

:smile: too lazy to go through the whole thing :zzz:

But your quote suggests mindfulness is the main ingredient.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

texasdhammastudent

Postby texasdhammastudent » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I am resolving to meditate at least once a day for the next two weeks! :buddha1:

manas

Postby manas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi retro, thanks for putting up this topic.

I really need to cultivate sati-sampajanna in all my waking hours. Ok: this week, I will make an effort to be more aware of the body, what it is doing, and it's positioning in space; and the mind, it's focus (or lack thereof), or it's contents. Enough of heedlessness! Time to light a fire under this lazy toosh!

:jedi:

EDIT: I just remembered, that recollection and awareness must be accompanied as much as possible by the wholesome roots of generousity, loving-kindness and wisdom.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 am

Hello all,

A little from MahaThera Nyanatiloka on the two meanings of Adhitthāna:

Adhitthāna, as a doctrinal term, occurs chiefly in two meanings:

1. 'Foundation': four 'foundations or basics' of an Arahat's mentality, mentioned and explained in M. 140: the foundation of understanding paññā, of truthfulness sacca of generosity cāga and of peace upasama. See also D. 33 and Com.

2. 'Determination', resolution, resolve in: adhitthāna-iddhi magical power of determination' see: iddhi, adhitthāna-pāramī perfection of resolution' see: pāramī.
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... tm#adhitthāna

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ruralist

Postby Ruralist » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:23 am

i am going to make the resolve to be more mindful of my speech for the next 2 weeks and then review my progress.
being self employed i often spend long periods in silence which is great and allows me to concentrate on mindfulness of thoughts and body. however recently my work load has increased and i have hired an apprentice for 2/3 days a week. now i find myself indulging in idle chatter as this has a two fold effect, 1: getting to know my new workmate, 2: making time go quicker/him more comfortable
i have however noticed since that i say, on occasion, things that i regret. not so much slander or gossip but more harsh words such as swearing or crude jokes. it has begun to bother me as i was never like that before but the presence of another person has led me to lose track of my mindfulness .....
"Let monkeys be monkeys without getting emotionally involved. Peace can be born within you because you know the way monkeys are. Knowing the manner of monkeys, you will let go and be at peace, not getting tied up in monkey business." Ven. Ajahn Chah

EmptyShadow

Postby EmptyShadow » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

I resolve to meditate at least 8 hours a day for the next 8 days, starting from tomorrow. And to abstain from some of the sensual pleasures in that time.

:meditate:

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 pm

My adhitthana for developing the heightened mind is coming along fine. I need to put in the final sprint- i hope to complete this in the next few months. Wish me luck!

with adhitthana

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:04 am

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 am

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

EmptyShadow

Postby EmptyShadow » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 am

I completed my adhitthana successfully. It was my first self-retreat and the first time i meditated for so much. At first i intended to do 10 days but on the second day my motivation and effort dropped significantly so for the next 8 days that resolve to continue, carried me through realy nicely.
If i decide to do another retreat or other signifficant effort for dhamma practice, i'll certainly need another adhitthana for support. :smile:

May your dhamma practice is smooth and bring great results :anjali:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 am

Greetings Empty Shadow,

Congratulations!

:thumbsup:

I'm pleased it worked for you...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

phil

Postby phil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 am

I like this very much Retro, thanks.

My addhithaana for this work week (mine starts today) is to maintain mindfulness and diligence while teaching (no sneaking off mentally to contemplate the end of my shift etc) and no sexual proliferation about students (don't worry, I teach adults) or women on the train etc...

When the mind needs to resort to something other than the content of the daily grind, it will resort to the perception of the brwath that I am developing in morning meditation.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:01 am

My adhitthana for this month is a meta adhitthana, which is, in a way, to have more adhitthana, or to work on this parami. The way i'll do it is: whenever I catch myself procrastinating something or being lazy, I'll counteract on that.

I hope this works.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”