YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

karmic cause of schizophrenia - Page 9 - Dhamma Wheel

karmic cause of schizophrenia

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Viscid

Re: karmic cause of schizophrenia

Postby Viscid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:53 pm

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

WilsonBond

Postby WilsonBond » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:48 pm

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:57 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

WilsonBond

Postby WilsonBond » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:44 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:46 pm

WilsonBond,
I'm not telling you to take medications or to not take them....it means nothing to me...I want you to decide for yourself....for you to decide for yourself you must first learn about the medications which are available and the effect they are likely to have. Also you must learn whether you will have the choice to stop the medications if you wish and which might be physically addictive and thus difficult to stop.

I urge you to not take a few people's experiences alone as being adequate for making such an important decision.....ask a doctor...or two...get a list of possible medications and study their effects and side effects and whether they are easy to stop or not. Develop as much expertise as you can on the subject. The fact is that new medications are being created regularly and from what I have heard the nightmare reactions which were common with the drugs used before are no longer typical with the drugs available today....but you must be the judge of that so get busy and starting finding out....maybe you will decide to not take any of them but it is best if you make that decision by knowing the facts and not relying on just rumors.
chownah

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:32 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 pm

I wonder if anyone tried these methods on hallucinations or delusions:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

RickF

Postby RickF » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:37 pm

As a person with this disease, who Googled this question, I found the posts interesting. Thank you to the person who asked the original question, and thank you to the persons who answered. As mentioned I think that seeking help and taking care of what is happening in this life now....(for "me" that means taking my meds, and seeing my psychiatrist, and therapist) is probably more important than why it happened. This is what I have to work with, and I am very blessed to have met the dharma in this lifetime and realize its help, even if I am ill. I have only been meditating daily, reading the Dharma, and practicing with a sanga for a little over a year. I believe that I am suffer less now that I am practicing, and trying to follow the precepts. "I" personally am very thankful for modern medicine. True I am not cured, but thankfully I don't have to be totally out of my mind, locked up, or homeless, and I think I am sick enough that that could of happened, it has happened to some of my friends. Sometimes when I think of the poor people who have or had no access to medicine (that may have been helpful) because they lived before, or its just not available....I consider it very sad. "I" only speak for myself. I have friends who tell me they don't find the medicines helpful. I think it is best if a person is healthy enough to make up their own mind. Unfortunately sometimes it "appears" in the news that someone commits a crime that "may" not of happened had they been on meds. Really only that person knows. And how many "normal" people commit crimes? The fact is the news story will propagate stigma, even though from what I have read, people with schizophrenia are more likely to be the victims of crime than the other way around. That all said "I" personally am grateful for my meds. I did not become ill due to illegal drug use in this life, my best guess "scientifically" genetics. Thank you for the spritual Buddhist perspective, that's why I Googled

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”