YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Visions/dreams and how to deal with them... - Dhamma Wheel

Visions/dreams and how to deal with them...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
householder

Visions/dreams and how to deal with them...

Postby householder » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Reductor

Re: Visions/dreams and how to deal with them...

Postby Reductor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey there householder.

Early on I had a lot of visons and such. Since I was using anapansati coupled with bud dho, I just held fast to my object. Over the course of a month or two these things became less and less.

So I would suggest you continue your noting and meditate through as you have been doing. Be sure to practice at times when you are unlikely to be tired other wise you will likely lack energy to fend off these disturbances.

Also, I know that when I am somewhat tired my eyes tend to drift into a upward pointing position and I go into a quasi dreaming state. An interesting experience but of little value. Avoid that if it is happening to you.

Lastly, use what works. If walking seems more reliable, then make that the backbone of your meditation and don't kick yourself over it. Even the great ajahn mun made walking meditation his focus early on, and a staple for his whole life.

Of course sit also and put in an effort. I am sure it will abate in time.

Bear in mind that I have not received mahasi training, but hope my thoughts prove of value to you.

householder

Postby householder » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Thankyou thereductor, it's helpful to hear of your experiences.

Exceptional time commitments are playing havoc, so that when I do meditate I'm usually very tired. Fortunately I have a 9 day intensive vipassana retreat this month and a 5 day start at Harnham in September (though it will be literally stepping off the plane after returning from Myanmar then straight up to Newcastle!)

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 pm

I have sympathy for you. Being a stay home dad it is required of me to attend to my two young kids (4 and 5 yrs old) and the home from the time I awaken to the time the kids fall asleep at 10 pm. Usually I am very weary. So far shifting to a predawn meditation period has been a hit and miss affair.

Perhaps you'd be better off getting up much earlier rather than staying up later?

Other possibilies, if weariness is contributing to your trouble, would be to turn the sitting part of your meditation into contemplation of metta, or a recollection of buddha, dhamma or sangha. These are good developments to undertake and will provide more conceptual foundation for your mind, which may offset any tiredness.

At anyrate good luck with your retreats.

EDIT, a couple small changes in 3rd paragraph

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:07 am

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 am

The tiredness is just part of life. Worse at some stages than others.
As to visions and dreams I was present once when Ajahn Munindo was asked about such phenomena. He said, " Its all stuff. Note it and let it go ".
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”