Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:21 pm 

Just out of curiosity,is Tibetan Buddhism and Tantric Buddhism the same?

I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:26 pm 

No, Tibetan Buddhism includes many other aspects and practices than just tantra. :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:07 pm 

Huseng wrote:
No, Tibetan Buddhism includes many other aspects and practices than just tantra. :smile:

Like what?

I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:09 pm 

Red Faced Buddha wrote:
Huseng wrote:

Like what?

Madhyamaka philosophy, incense rolling, butter sculptures, Abhidharma, Vinaya and many other things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm 

Furthermore, there are tantric Buddhist sects that are not Tibetan.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:32 pm 

The main practices for the five schools are based on tantra. Dzogchen texts might set it as a path separate from tantra but I don't think Dzogchen has ever been taught without any tantra. However all schools have their own traditions of teaching sutras and sastras of Mahayana philosophy as well as shamatha and vipasyana.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:38 pm 

I get the impression that in Nalandabodhi (Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's organization), they do cater for those who only practice in the sutra tradition. Which is interesting, since I also had the impression that all the Tibetan schools lead their students to tantra, with sutra only as preliminary training.

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 pm 
Former staff member

pueraeternus wrote:
I get the impression that in Nalandabodhi (Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's organization), they do cater for those who only practice in the sutra tradition. Which is interesting, since I also had the impression that all the Tibetan schools lead their students to tantra, with sutra only as preliminary training.

The Bodhi Path of the Shamarpa is also mostly sutra teachings, i.e. Lojong.

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:20 pm 

pueraeternus wrote:

May I ask where you get that impression?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:34 pm 

justsit wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:

From time to time I attend Nalandabodhi NY's events. It was from a chat with someone there once - I can't recall why we got to that subject, but I think it is related to the Nalandabodhi curriculum.

Did I get the wrong impression then? I didn't probe further, so I could have gotten it wrong altogether.

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:38 pm 

Astus wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:

The Bodhi Path of the Shamarpa is also mostly sutra teachings, i.e. Lojong.

Ah - interesting. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 pm 

pueraeternus wrote:
justsit wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:

From time to time I attend Nalandabodhi NY's events. It was from a chat with someone there once - I can't recall why we got to that subject, but I think it is related to the Nalandabodhi curriculum.

Did I get the wrong impression then? I didn't probe further, so I could have gotten it wrong altogether.

Perhaps, depends on the context of your conversation.

Just to clarify a bit - the NB curriculum is divided into three sections for the three yanas. Courses/events open to the public are typically limited to the sutra level approach; vajrayana courses are reserved for DPR's students.
DPR holds both Nyingma and Kagyu lineages, and teaches at the highest levels; and as he sometimes quips, with a smile, "My first name is Dzogchen." :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm 

justsit wrote:
Perhaps, depends on the context of your conversation.

Just to clarify a bit - the NB curriculum is divided into three sections for the three yanas. Courses/events open to the public are typically limited to the sutra level approach; vajrayana courses are reserved for DPR's students.
DPR holds both Nyingma and Kagyu lineages, and teaches at the highest levels; and as he sometimes quips, with a smile, "My first name is Dzogchen." :smile:

Noted - thanks for the clarification.

DPR is an amazing teacher. I have yet to meet him in person (he doesn't come to NYC very often), but I enjoyed his videos. I hope I can meet Khenpo someday, but it is unlikely since I heard due to his health and age he is probably not going to leave Nepal.