Will, creamation, organ donation

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pt1

Will, creamation, organ donation

Postby pt1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 am

Hi all,

I'm helping someone organise his will and arrange a funeral. I was wondering about the following from the perspective of Tibetan Buddhism:

1. After death occurs, how many days should expire before cremation, and does it matter at all?

2. What the teachers and lamas say on the issue of organ donation at the time of death?

Thanks.

Best wishes

Yudron

Re: Will, creamation, organ donation

Postby Yudron » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 am

Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

pt1

Postby pt1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 am

Not an active one, without a teacher for a long time, seems on his last legs.

Best wishes

Yudron

Postby Yudron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:51 am

Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

Tanaduk

Postby Tanaduk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 pm

:buddha1:

pt1

Postby pt1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks very much for the information, I appreciate it. Seems a good idea to enquire locally about how long the body could be kept before cremation, etc.

Best wishes

pemachophel

Postby pemachophel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 am

pt1,

It's great that you are helping this person make this important transition. Good for you.

For best results, the date and time for the body to leave the house (or wherever the death occurred, i.e., hospital, hospice, nursing home ) should be determined by Tibetan astrology as should the date of the cremation. Generally, the body is left undisturbed for three days unless the astrology suggests otherwise. The body can be packed with dry ice if necessary during this time. If the body must be moved sooner than three days or sooner than the astrology recommends, the dead person should be explained the situation and asked pardon and permission before being moved.

I recommend you get in touch with Loppon Rechung at Mipham Shedra in Boulder, CO. He can possibly help get the astrology done when the time comes. This is one of the services he performs. I suggest you get in touch before the death happens so that Loppon-la knows who you are, what the situation is, and things are somewhat set up before the event occurs. Loppon Rechung advises people have their "bags packed and ready to go" before death occurs and not just wait till the last moment. He also teaches a great weekend class on death and dying from the point of view of Tibetan Buddhism, including how to handle and dispose of the body, how to read the Bardo Tho-drol (Tibetan Book of the Dead) to the dying and dead person, how to do the Amitabha sadhana, how to do phowa, etc.

Good luck and best wishes.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Bj Lhundrup

Postby Bj Lhundrup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”