YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Mindfulness of breath (anapanasati) -Tips - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Mindfulness of breath (anapanasati) -Tips

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
icyteru

Re: Mindfulness of breath (anapanasati) -Tips

Postby icyteru » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Last edited by icyteru on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world.

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:20 am

icyteru

Postby icyteru » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:47 am

These are from visuddhimagga:

The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world.

manas

Postby manas » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Much of what has already been written covers what I would have said, too. If I could add a discovery that might be helpful to someone, it is about trust. It takes a kind of innocence to let go of thinking anymore, and just allow the body (breathing process) to become so prominent that it is just about all that's left in awareness. In my experience, at a certain stage I need to give my trust over to this body and this breath, that it will keep going with or without my active participation, and thus I don't have to interfere so much, just let it be and do it's thing. All 'I' need to do is to observe.

:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

merin

Postby merin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi,

I realize that the object of the thread is to share ways that have helped us in our anapanasati practice. Nevertheless, I wanted to share with you Gil Fronsdal's - to my mind - excellent series on developing anapanasati:

Six full days of sitting and exploring the breath. This series has helped me be more in touch with the intricacies of the movement of breath, where it may be felt, etc.

With Metta

Jack

Postby Jack » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Can anyone point me toward a good downloadable MP3 file for beginners that covers mindfulness of the breath. The ones I have found aren't really for rank beginners. I get calls from people who want to attend our sangha meetings but have never meditated before. It would be ideal if they were able to practice at home at least once before attending. The one I use now is http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/audio_player/2488.html.

I know where many guided meditations are on the Internet and don't need another list.

jack

Clarence

Postby Clarence » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 pm

I find this guy to be pretty helpful:

http://dharmatreasure.com/dharma-talks/

starter

Postby starter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Hello Teachers/Friends,

I'd like to know how many of you have reached jhana by using the 12 steps of anapanasati (without the aid of nimitta and etc.). As I learned from my retreat teachers (who are among the top meditators I believe), one-pointed focus is crucial for obtaining jhana. But these 12 steps of anapanasati doesn't seem to be one-pointed considering many changes in focus and the double attention to the breath and the feeling or mind. I suspect this sutta was given to the experienced meditators who were skilled in entering jhana already, like Ven. Ananda. The aim of this sutta was probably not for the beginners to do samatha meditation, but for those who had already mastered jhana to develop the 4 foundations of mindfulness and vipassana.

For the beginners, it might be better to just observe the breath at the tip of the nose, or follow the breath body (not the movements of the body), or notice the internal starting/ending point and the transition point (and naturally progress to one point focus), or in combination with Buddho when it's difficult to calm down and concentrate.

Your input is highly appreciated. Metta to all,

Starter

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 am

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:15 am

Have any of you checked this out?

Seems to be the best and most accurate way of practicing Anapanasati and just meditation in general according to the Suttas. I've just started practicing following this Bhikkus instructions and they seem to be the most promising path of meditation I have tried.

Here is a talk he is giving on Anapanasati, I encourage you to watch the second part as well:

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:08 am

My greatest aid to anapanasati is observance of the five precepts. Metta throughout the day, especially in kindly speech, makes it even more accessible for me. How much time I need to spend to have established mindfulness to the fore seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of investment I place in the precepts and metta. Sila, sila, sila...

Instead of the "Bud" and "Dho" mantra, my favourite is "Shut" "Up". :tongue: Done with a smile, of course.

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:52 am

Hahahaha. :smile:

:goodpost:

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:54 am

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I find that initially allowing the mind the attitudes the thoughts and or the tendency's to be as they are without activity in relation to counteracting or guiding them is helpful as long as there is just the simple knowledge that "there is a breath". After doing this for a while I begin to slowly become weary of how unstable my consciousness is and I naturally tend more toward the relative stability of the breathing process. I find that this process of tending towards progressively more stable and wholesome states naturally occurs as long as I dont budge on the minimum which it to simply know that there is a breathing body no matter how much I fall away from lofty states.

Prasadachitta
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”