Milarepa empowerment

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Milarepa empowerment

Post by DGA »

FWIW, I've taken a Milarepa empowerment with H.E. Garchen Rinpoche. It was an opportunity I deeply treasure, one that remains with me.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Pema Rigdzin said:
My lamas, who happen to be Nyingmapas, all concur with Kirtu and Cone's lamas on these matters and have said that taking as many empowerments as one has the opportunity to (with the bodhicitta motivation, not a collection mentality) is an excellent practice because it generates merit, wisdom, and purifies obscurations.
Just for the record, I didn't say that. In fact, somewhat the opposite is true.

But I heartily agree with everything else you've said in your post!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

It seems to me that the idea of "rolling" the empowerments into one practice dilutes the meaning and impact. I don't like the notion of "collecting" empowerments. It seems to me that if one is going to attend an empowerment, one should have the intention to practice it in their daily or regular practice.
:namaste:
Lise
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I think that's a reasonable outlook.

But if you read the biographies of great Lamas, like Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Kyabje Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, or Jamgon Kongtrul's Autobiography, you'll see that there are reasons to obtain a vast array of empowerments.

For ordinary beings such as ourselves, I think the appropriate thing to do is to find one teacher, one's main teacher, and to follow his or her instructions.

It's also appropriate to practice gradually, one practice at a time, in a sequence. I've been practicing a variety of methods since 1996 when I received a large number of related empowerments, for example, and there are many practices I have yet to touch.....but I aspire to contuinue practicing according to the lineage instructions, to the best of my ability.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Yonten Nyima

Post by Yonten Nyima »

This is fortunate, I was on the KDK website and it fails to specify whether or not this practice requires the Empowerment, it is listed under a category that I assume is comprised of Kriya tantra practices like white tara, chenrezig, medicine buddha, etc.
Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Yonten Nyima wrote:This is fortunate, I was on the KDK website and it fails to specify whether or not this practice requires the Empowerment, it is listed under a category that I assume is comprised of Kriya tantra practices like white tara, chenrezig, medicine buddha, etc.
Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?
Hey Yonten, we're neighbors. :) Wow, I'd have never assumed there were any Vajrayana practitioners in Medford! I'm happy to have been proven wrong though, haha. Anyhow, I believe Lise said at some point in the thread that the practice is a guru yoga and I'm pretty sure that's the unique province of anuttarayoga tantra.

Cone, being a Kagyupa, do you have anymore info about this practice you could offer our friend Yonten?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Hi, Yonten and Pema-

The Milarepa sadhana available at KDK is the one written by Kongtrul, and the one that is practiced in 3 year retreat. It can also be practiced as a principal practice, or as a "special occasion" puja with Tsok. We've done it at KDK a few times.

It is a "LaDrup," or a "Sadhana of the Lama," and I would classify it as Highest Yoga Tantra. However, it's my understanding that it can be "done" in a group setting, on special occasions for example, even without the specific empowerment--in other words, at KDK I don't believe there are restrictions on viewing, or even purchasing, the texts, but I could be wrong--I haven't looked at the bookstore section of a Newsletter in quite some time.

It does involve self-generation as Vajrayogini, with a bit more "detail" than one would find in a standard "ngondro."

I would say it's best to get the empowerment, of course, and the detailed instructions on practice, prior to attempting to practice this sadhana. But it can be engaged in as a supplication, and tsok, and that's the way we do it when practicing in semi-public group occasions.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Wow, I'd have never assumed there were any Vajrayana practitioners in Medford! I'm happy to have been proven wrong though, haha.
surprisingly, you might even find a few...

...if you look...

...in Klamath Falls. :spy:

sorry for the OT.

:focus:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

...or in and around Ashland...

After all, Tashi Choling is near there, and Kagyu Sukha Choling is in Ashland itself....

:twothumbsup:

Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Jikan wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Wow, I'd have never assumed there were any Vajrayana practitioners in Medford! I'm happy to have been proven wrong though, haha.
surprisingly, you might even find a few...

...if you look...

...in Klamath Falls. :spy:

sorry for the OT.

:focus:
Jikan,
Hey almost neighbor. :) I've never had the pleasure of making it out to K Falls, I've only heard what people (mostly my hoity toity Ashland acquaintances) have to say about it.

Cone,
Yeah, I live in Talent (like 5 miles from Ashland) and go to Tashi Choling. I'd expect to find Vajrayana Buddhists in Ashland because aside from the fact that TC is nearby and KSC is there, Ashland is home to all things spiritually exotic, hippy dippy, airy fairy and liberal and probably half the population has Tibetan prayer flags up at their homes whether they're Buddhist or not lol. But Medford, on the other hand, is typically more the domain of our brothers and sisters of the American flag flyin', deer huntin', red meat and potatoes eatin', conservative variety. :)

I got love for 'em all, though haha. ;)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Oh, yes...I've driven through Medford, and stayed in Ashland.....so, I take your meaning. You were thinking specifically of Medford. I was lumping that general section of the State of Orgeon into one big chunk, forgetting that vast "socio-culturo-economic differences" can take place within a relatively short distance.

NorCal is the same---compare San Ramon to Oakland, for example....

Anyway, back on topic. Milarepa's the greatest, eh?!?

lisehull

Post by lisehull »

I'm now living in Ashland, having come here from Bandon in April to spend more time at Kagyu Sukha Choling. Looks like we are moving here permanently. It's so nice to be near the center, rather than having to commute long distance.
And yes, Milarepa's the man! :woohoo:
Lise
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Welcome to the Rogue valley, Lise. We're practically neighbors; I live just down the road in Talent. :)

Glad to hear you're able to relocate and be so close to KSC. Enjoy!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”