Hello from Western Canada

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Shutoku

Hello from Western Canada

Post by Shutoku »

Hello,

I am Shutoku (my Dharma name)
I am a 47 year old male, music teacher, and follower of Jodo Shinshu for 15 years.
I began my Buddhist life practicing Soto Zen on my own with no teacher available. Later I was very taken by the teaching of Thich Nhat Hanh. It was actually an article by TNH where he encourages readers to find a sangha...even an imperfect Sangha. I knew there was a Shin Temple locally so I went one day, and have never looked back.

I love the people at my temple, who are mostly Japanese Canadians, and all but a handful 70 years of age or older. They are without a doubt the most friendly, kind, humble, and genuine people I have ever known. Unfortunately there are very few younger members, and so the Temples future looks bleak. For the last few years I have served as Secretary, pianist during services, and I am a lay leader. I feel such a debt f gratitude to the teaching and to this Sangha, that no matter how bleak it looks, I will work hard and do my best to try to keep the Temple going. of course impermanence may be inevitable, but still I will try.

Pleased to find a forum with a Pure Land section too! 8-)
Namo Amida Butsu
Mr. G

Re: Hello from Western Canada

Post by Mr. G »

Welcome Shutoku!
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I'm originally from Winterpeg Manitoba. :toilet:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Huseng wrote:I'm originally from Winterpeg Manitoba. :toilet:
"the saddest music in the world."
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Welcome to the conversation, Shutoku!
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Hello Shutoku! :hi:
Shutoku wrote: ... and all but a handful 70 years of age or older. .... Unfortunately there very few younger members, and so the Temples future looks bleak.
I'm told this is the current situation in Hawaii (I don't know for sure because I haven't been in Hawaii since high school). Are there enough young people around to form a temple organized soccer or basketball team or to start up a Buddhist scouting group?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Introductions”