Inviting other beings to join your practice?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Inviting other beings to join your practice?

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Does anyone include in their practice an invitation to hungry ghosts, devas, and any other beings?

I remember reading some folks on here say they've seen or felt other beings join their practice, mimicking what they do. It seems like a natural extension of bodhicitta, to invite beings who need merit to join you... even if your session is 30 minutes of coming out of monkey mind over and over again :P I don't have any direct experience with such beings but I don't discount their existence simply because my eyeballs can't see them.

I imagine there's precedent for this so maybe someone's already written up a good prayer to use :)

Thanks for your insight and thoughts.
:buddha1: :heart:
Namu Amida Butsu
lowlydog

Re: Inviting other beings to join your practice?

Post by lowlydog »

I feel all the realms of samsara are part of our practice, we just need to develope the ability to feel their presence and observe their arising and passing away with a balanced mind. :smile:
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

During tsok, yes.
lobster

Post by lobster »

duckfiasco wrote:Does anyone include in their practice an invitation to hungry ghosts, devas, and any other beings?

:buddha1: :heart:
You bet.
I invite all buddhas, past present and future. The hordes of all realms, including the Non Buddhist. The more the merrier. I should imagine it is no different to the lone Zennist but it feels friendlier . . . :group:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I see that kind of invitation everywhere, in water bowl offerings, in MB pujas, even in a simple 7 branch prayer.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”