Palden Lhamo

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Palden Lhamo

Postby plwk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Another source on Sri Devi here & here
In the Chinese Mahayana Tradition (and also in other East Asian Mahayana Trads), she is regarded as one of the Dharma Protectors and her Dharani is recited four times in the daily Morning Liturgy: once as part of the collection of the Ten Small Mantras & thrice accompanied in the praise to another Dharma Protector, Skanda Bodhisattva. Also during the annual 9th Day of the 1st Lunar Month, in the Golden Light Dharma Repentance (An Offering to the Buddhas & Celestials). See below videos of her Dharani in Chinese & Sanskrit (fast & slow versions by Malaysian Buddhist artist, Imee Ooi)

The goddess Shri or Lakshmi is not the same as Palden Lhamo who is Mahakali. Shri/Pal is simply an honorific, in this case of Mahadevi.

Isn't Lakshmi the Hindu goddess of wealth(and wife of Vishnu.)I don't see what similarities she would have with Palden Lhamo.
http://www.tricycle.com/blog/himalayan- ... -shri-devi
Shri Devi is the female equivalent to Mahakala and belongs to her own category of Tantric Buddhist protector deities. Like Mahakala, there are dozens of different variations and forms of Shri Devi. She is not one entity or personality. Depending on the form of Shri Devi she could be a wrathful emanation of a number of different figures.
For example, Shri Devi Magzor Gyalmo is the wrathful form of Sarasvati. Other forms of Shri Devi, such as Dudusolma (depicted with four arms), are the wrathful emanation of Shri Lakshmi (Pal Lhamo). In this context Sarasvati and Shri Lakshmi are enlightened deities—not to be confused with the Indian worldly goddesses.
http://www.himalayanart.org/news/post.c ... us-goddess
Some Tibetan teachers say that there are twenty-one forms of Palden Lhamo (Shri Devi), often including the Bon religious protector Sipai Gyalmo as one of the forms. This is likely a late conflation occurring in the last one hundred years or so, an attempt to organize all of the different forms, along with the major and minor traditions, into a single structured system.
Not all forms of Shri Devi have the same entity or personality. The principal form of the protector, Dudsolma or Dudmo Remati, appearing with one face and four arms, riding a donkey, is a wrathful manifestation of Shri Lakshmi (Pal Lhamo). Principal here means earliest and having the most lineages from India, teachings and commentaries associated with her practice. Magzor Gyalmo with two arms, riding a mule, is a manifestation of Sarasvati. In the Bon Religion Sipai Gyalmo is the wrathful form of Satrig Ersang, one of the four principal deities/gods of the Bon Religion. This shows that the different forms of Shri Devi arise from various narratives, ritual and practice traditions.
plwk

Postby Karma Dorje » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm

In this context Sarasvati and Shri Lakshmi are enlightened deities—not to be confused with the Indian worldly goddesses.

Yes, because heaven forbid we open up the possibility that all of these tantric devas and devis are all actually the same, regardless of the tradition we find them in. As it is said, the gods of the old religion become the devils of the new.

:roll:
Karma Dorje

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 am

Karma Dorje wrote:
In this context Sarasvati and Shri Lakshmi are enlightened deities—not to be confused with the Indian worldly goddesses.

Yes, because heaven forbid we open up the possibility that all of these tantric devas and devis are all actually the same, regardless of the tradition we find them in. As it is said, the gods of the old religion become the devils of the new.

:roll:

:twothumbsup: I agree.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Previous

Return to Open Dharma