Can a deity grant you a boon?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Can a deity grant you a boon?

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Can a deity(referring to an enlightened being,not a deva.)grant you a boon?I heard Green Tara(or maybe White Tara,they're so many of them it's easy to mix them up :tongue: .)can grant you a boon,so does that mean all Buddhas and Bodhisattva can and/or will grant someone a boon?
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: Can a deity grant you a boon?

Postby lobster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am

In your and my current state, probably not. Faith and practice, then boons. :namaste:
lobster

Postby Yudron » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Red Faced Buddha wrote:Can a deity(referring to an enlightened being,not a deva.)grant you a boon?I heard Green Tara(or maybe White Tara,they're so many of them it's easy to mix them up :tongue: .)can grant you a boon,so does that mean all Buddhas and Bodhisattva can and/or will grant someone a boon?

If you have strong faith in a deity, yes.

That being said, wisdom deities are not entities living in some distant place.
Yudron

Postby duckfiasco » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:01 pm

To echo lobster, in our normal state, likely not. Our habitual tendencies to externalize and cut ourselves off from the rest of the world creates the very barrier that impedes a lot of transformation and blessings.

At least, I think so ;)
Please take the above post with a grain of salt.
duckfiasco

Return to Exploring Buddhism