How to get rid of clinging to self

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
greentara

Re: How to get rid of clinging to self

Post by greentara »

Most of us are in the same same boat. Too many concepts, too many books read, too many half baked teachers. Sometimes it's good to keep it simple but that can also be difficult. "To meet cheerfully whatever life brings is all the austerity you need."
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Red Faced Buddha wrote:One of the major hindrances to me is my constant clinging to "I."this has caused me some trouble and makes me rather blind in certain doctrines.How can I get rid of my constant clinging to self?
"I" is just another thought. So is the notion you have to get rid of it. Find a teacher you trust, listen to his or her advice and relax.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
songhill

Post by songhill »

This comment is directed to the OP. The problem is not the "I" or the self. The problem it is what we cling to which we believe is our true self or I. The bulk of mankind believes their I is composed of material shape, feelings, perception, habitual tendenceis and consciousness. These is the five aggregates (pañca-skandha) or the same, the psycho-physical body. According to the Buddha we are not this psycho-physical body. It is not my self, or the I, or the first-person.
Red Faced Buddha

Post by Red Faced Buddha »

songhill wrote:This comment is directed to the OP. The problem is not the "I" or the self. The problem it is what we cling to which we believe is our true self or I. The bulk of mankind believes their I is composed of material shape, feelings, perception, habitual tendenceis and consciousness. These is the five aggregates (pañca-skandha) or the same, the psycho-physical body. According to the Buddha we are not this psycho-physical body. It is not my self, or the I, or the first-person.
Thank you.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”