Is this the Heart Sutra?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
wukong

Is this the Heart Sutra?

Post by wukong »

A friend showed me this lovely present they were given when they went to China. I can't read Chinese but it seems to me to be the Heart Sutra, but too short to be the Diamond Sutra. Can anybody confirm?

Many thanks in advance

Wukong
20121114_130719.jpg
20121114_130719.jpg (257.22 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Joth

Re: Is this the Heart Sutra?

Post by Joth »

yes...
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

I'll second that - yes, it is the Heart Sutra.

Is that handwritten and hand-drawn on a leaf? Looks like it is stuck to a white piece of paper - is it framed for hanging? I hope it is not made into a bookmark, as that might cause improper placement of and disrespect to the sutra.

It seems to be from the Ling Yi Temple (灵隐寺, or in traditional Chinese characters 靈隐寺): http://www.lingyinsi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Heart sutra written on a bodhi tree leaf.

~~ Huifeng
wukong

Post by wukong »

Thanks for your replies on this. A friend of mine was given it while on a trip to china. He was given this as a present on a visit to Lin yi monastery. So well done on spotting that. He is a surgeon and was quite tickled to learn it is called the Heart Sutra. Incidentally, doesn't sutra and suture come from the same root?

It is handwritten on a large leaf (pipal?) and mounted within a nice glass frame and impeccably packaged, so treated with great respect.

Thanks again

Wukong

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”