Tapped - the movie

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Mr. G

Tapped - the movie

Post by Mr. G »

phpBB [video]

Is access to clean drinking water a basic human right, or a commodity that should be bought and sold like any other article of commerce? Stephanie Soechtig's debut feature is an unflinching examination of the big business of bottled water.

From the producers of Who Killed the Electric Car and I.O.U.S.A., this timely documentary is a behind-the-scenes look into the unregulated and unseen world of an industry that aims to privatize and sell back the one resource that ought never to become a commodity: our water.

From the plastic production to the ocean in which so many of these bottles end up, this inspiring documentary trails the path of the bottled water industry and the communities which were the unwitting chips on the table. A powerful portrait of the lives affected by the bottled water industry, this revelatory film features those caught at the intersection of big business and the public's right to water.

http://www.tappedthemovie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: Tapped - the movie

Post by Mr. G »

Other Water Documentaries:

phpBB [video]

Irena Salina's award-winning documentary investigation into what experts label the most important political and environmental issue of the 21st Century - The World Water Crisis.

Salina builds a case against the growing privatization of the world's dwindling fresh water supply with an unflinching focus on politics, pollution, human rights, and the emergence of a domineering world water cartel.

Interviews with scientists and activists intelligently reveal the rapidly building crisis, at both the global and human scale, and the film introduces many of the governmental and corporate culprits behind the water grab, while begging the question 'CAN ANYONE REALLY OWN WATER?'

Beyond identifying the problem, FLOW also gives viewers a look at the people and institutions providing practical solutions to the water crisis and those developing new technologies, which are fast becoming blueprints for a successful global and economic turnaround.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

phpBB [video]

In every corner of the globe, we are polluting, diverting, pumping, and wasting our limited supply of fresh water at an expediential level as population and technology grows. The rampant overdevelopment of agriculture, housing and industry increase the demands for fresh water well beyond the finite supply, resulting in the desertification of the earth.

Corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water supply for profit. Wall Street investors target desalination and mass bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic and political gain. Military control of water emerges and a new geo-political map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world water wars.

We follow numerous worldwide examples of people fighting for their basic right to water, from court cases to violent revolutions to U.N. conventions to revised constitutions to local protests at grade schools. As Maude Barlow proclaims, “This is our revolution, this is our war”. A line is crossed as water becomes a commodity. Will we survive?

http://www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I watched Tapped last night. It was definitely the best of the three.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Sonrisa

Post by Sonrisa »

My goodness! So terrible! What are they going to try to privatize next? The air we breath?
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Sonrisa wrote:My goodness! So terrible! What are they going to try to privatize next? The air we breath?
Actually, I think this is a very prophetic statement Sonrisa. :(
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Well as usual I will voice my environmental view,,,

the greatest technologies, greatest altruistic approach to issues such as clean water and air, and the best most efficient technologies, the world completely solar and all the rest will still not devolve the standing problem...

6-7 Billion is just to much.

Not to discount or trivitalize the problem of water. Want to really save personally a lot of water and water contamination.....go vegan immediately. Cattle/cows are one of the most water dependent species who themselves not even considering the grain they eat and its drain on water.....use enormous amounts of water, and polute enormous amounts of water with their wastes.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
BFS

Post by BFS »

Thanks for the links, Mr.G.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

ronnewmexico wrote:the greatest technologies, greatest altruistic approach to issues such as clean water and air, and the best most efficient technologies, the world completely solar and all the rest will still not devolve the standing problem...

6-7 Billion is just to much.
I see you are concerned about population growth ron. Have your studies brought you to any hopeful conclusions?

BFS wrote:Thanks for the links, Mr.G.
Your welcome! :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”