science and buddhism forum?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
anjali
Former staff member

science and buddhism forum?

Post by anjali »

Would you consider making a science and buddhism forum?

I am going to submit a science article link and some quotes (Empathy Represses Analytic Thought, and Vice Versa: Brain Physiology Limits Simultaneous Use of Both Networks, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 161416.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but there isn't an obvious place to post. Dharma-free-for-all, Lounge or maybe News & Current Events are the likely places, but perhaps if there was a specific forum for science related stuff, we could start collecting some interesting links and discussion in one place?
lobster

Re: science and buddhism forum?

Post by lobster »

I would find this helpful too. :thumbsup:
Buddhism as mind science that is verifiable as beneficial. It is about time scientists underwent mind training. :tongue:
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

To avoid it becoming silly, it could be a sub-forum of Academic Buddhism.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I'm fine with this.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I reckon it's a very good idea!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Viniketa's idea of putting it in Academic Discussion sounds like a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of that. It would kick the standard of discussion up a notch. If it is created in AD, then we could try it out a while on an experimental basis and see how it works.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

It begins to sound really good if it is put in the Academic forum. I like "science" to be scientific.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Yudron wrote:I like "science" to be scientific.
:thumbsup:
Quiet Heart

The Buddhist Science Forum?

Post by Quiet Heart »

:shrug:
Seems like everyone likes the idea, but it hasn't been created yet.
In the meantime I've found this article that I (at least) find interesting and it definately has a "science" edge to it.
So I hope I can get away with posting a link to the article?
The story is at:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... Science%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it will work.
Any comments appreciated.
Thank you
:smile:

P.S. The article is about a recent discovery of what MAY be a precourser to DNA and a possible link to a life system that MAY have predated DNA based life.
On Earth.
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
lobster

Re: The Buddhist Science Forum?

Post by lobster »

Fascinating [raises Spock type eyebrow]
Never heard of AEG before. As we get closer to the link between animate and inanimate, perhaps rocks will be seen as a primitive form of pre sentience and potential Buddhas? :woohoo:
More work for the Mahayana . . .
Interestingly I notice as science has incurred on the gap of the life giving flying spaghetti monster, that is no longer a proof of Divine Noodliness. I hope science is enabled to study further the genetic changes of practitioners, some interesting work there . . . :thumbsup:
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: The Buddhist Science Forum?

Post by catmoon »

What, you question his Divine Noodliness? Geez, what next? No more Tanginess of the Holy and Harmonious Tomato Sauce? What about the Splendid, Sumptuous and Superb Symmetry of His Cheesy Sprinkles? I suppose you're going to tell us it's just RANDOM or something?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
lobster

Post by lobster »

It is oodles of noodles out there. For example in quantum tunnelling which occurs in the human nose and in photosynthesis . . . basically particles bypass going through and just arrive . . .
http://tmxxine.tumblr.com/quantumbiology

Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz: I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do, I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I *do*!
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Thanks for the suggestion.

The team is currently discussing whether to create a specific science and buddhism forum/sub forum. Until such times as a decision is reached this thread will be locked.

Regards,

Return to “Suggestion Box”