Chod and Sur offerings

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Yonten Nyima

Chod and Sur offerings

Post by Yonten Nyima »

Ive been on several sites, all of which offer texts with instructions and offering substances for Chod and Sur offerings, and in the Nyingma school these are fine for lay practitioners, you can even practice the Thousand armed Chenrezig within the Sur offering ceremony. But is this advisable for a student of the Kagyu school?
Sur, at the least, is a very easy aroma offering to those in the bardo, and hungry spirits, but is transmission required, or atleast an Empowerment for the practice of Thousand Armed Chenrezig?
conebeckham

Re: Chod and Sur offerings

Post by conebeckham »

Let's get the typcial response out of the way first....."Ask your Lama."

Okay, now that we've covered that.....

Jamgon Kongtrul wrote a Sur Offering which requires only a "transmission." It's not particularly associated with 1,000-armed Chenrezig, but normally one does self-generation of Chenrezig first--we usually use TangGyal's Droden KaKhyabMa. This is usually done in a group setting, after afternoon protector offerings, in retreat. You can do it yourself, too.

However, it's not always advisable to do this--under some circumstances, inviting these guests may something you don't want to do. So it's really best to check with one's teacher, not only to obtain the transmission, but also to determine if such a practice is appropriate to do. I'd guess that if you're doing Chod/Lujin already, it would be fine, but what do I know??
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Yonten Nyima

Post by Yonten Nyima »

Thank you

I would ask my lamas but they are taking their "vacation days" lol
Though I am not currently practicing it, Ill be away on retreat soon, and thought that sur practice would be beneficial for beings. Ive read on sites that it is ok, just like certain sites tell me that ngondro is ok for students who have a distance between them and their primary teacher(s)
Both SEEM to be misinformed, but maybe I am, and seeing as this is a diverse community :group: , maybe some students from other lineages can help.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Say Hi to Lamas Pema and Yeshe when they return--if they are the teachers who are on vacation! :smile:

and if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, nevermind......

:smile:

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Yonten Nyima

Post by Yonten Nyima »

No....way

You know my Lamas. :jawdrop:
Well this is a strange turn of events. lol
This leads me to the conclusion you live in the area, or atleast have been to the area
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Yonten, check your Private Messages! :smile:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”