Alayavijnana - Dharma For Dummies

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Alayavijnana - Dharma For Dummies

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hope this is the right place for this.

I know the term is roughly "store consciousness" Storehouse Of Ideation or whatever, but every time I read something with the term, including whichever sutra it is that explains these, manas, the cittas, and their relationship I am just confused, there is some part I don't quite comprehend. Can someone recommend a possible resource for me to get a better handle on concepts like these?

I feel like if I had to take a "Mahayana Buddhism 101" test, I would definitely fail the section on Karma.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Dave The Seeker

Re: Alayavijnana - Dharma For Dummies

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Hello my friend, Karma is actions. That is the actual meaning.
So is the action wholesome or unwholesome?
So for each of our actions there is a consequence. That is Karma coming "ripe" of fulfilling the reaction to the action.

Have you looked here: http://lamayeshe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a lot of great teachings there.

:namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Hope this is the right place for this.
I know the term is roughly "store consciousness" Storehouse Of Ideation or whatever, but every time I read something with the term, including whichever sutra it is that explains these, manas, the cittas, and their relationship I am just confused, there is some part I don't quite comprehend. Can someone recommend a possible resource for me to get a better handle on concepts like these?
I feel like if I had to take a "Mahayana Buddhism 101" test, I would definitely fail the section on Karma.
Alayavijñana and the rest of yogachara view is explained in the Samdhinirmocana sutra and in the Lankavatara sutra, both exist in english translation. I find the works of Vasubandhu helpful for the understanding of Alayavijñana and Yogachara, his Thirty Stanzas or Trimshika Karika is a brief and excellent work on the subject.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Thanks!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”