Alayavijnana - Dharma For Dummies

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Alayavijnana - Dharma For Dummies

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 am

Hope this is the right place for this.

I know the term is roughly "store consciousness" Storehouse Of Ideation or whatever, but every time I read something with the term, including whichever sutra it is that explains these, manas, the cittas, and their relationship I am just confused, there is some part I don't quite comprehend. Can someone recommend a possible resource for me to get a better handle on concepts like these?

I feel like if I had to take a "Mahayana Buddhism 101" test, I would definitely fail the section on Karma.
"We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" -Tom Waits
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Alayavijnana - Dharma For Dummies

Postby Dave The Seeker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Hello my friend, Karma is actions. That is the actual meaning.
So is the action wholesome or unwholesome?
So for each of our actions there is a consequence. That is Karma coming "ripe" of fulfilling the reaction to the action.

Have you looked here: http://lamayeshe.com/

There is a lot of great teachings there.

:namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Dave The Seeker

Postby Aemilius » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Hope this is the right place for this.
I know the term is roughly "store consciousness" Storehouse Of Ideation or whatever, but every time I read something with the term, including whichever sutra it is that explains these, manas, the cittas, and their relationship I am just confused, there is some part I don't quite comprehend. Can someone recommend a possible resource for me to get a better handle on concepts like these?
I feel like if I had to take a "Mahayana Buddhism 101" test, I would definitely fail the section on Karma.

Alayavijñana and the rest of yogachara view is explained in the Samdhinirmocana sutra and in the Lankavatara sutra, both exist in english translation. I find the works of Vasubandhu helpful for the understanding of Alayavijñana and Yogachara, his Thirty Stanzas or Trimshika Karika is a brief and excellent work on the subject.
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks!
"We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" -Tom Waits
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Return to Exploring Buddhism