Devas in Buddhism

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Devas in Buddhism

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:08 am

I've always found religion,deities,and cosmologies fascinating.Devas in Buddhism particularly fascinate me,because they are mortal and can sink down to the lower worlds(human,asura,hungry ghost,etc.)some Buddhist believe they are almost utterly powerless but I disagree.Although they may be indifferent to human being,I believe devas must be very powerful beings(I read a myth about how Shakyamuni had to transform into a wrathful deity to subdue some of the more powerful ones.)and at least the lower ones have some participation with humans.This would explain the rise and fall of several deities,occuring with their rise and fall within religions corresponding with their life and finally death.How do you feel?
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: Devas in Buddhism

Postby Indrajala » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:07 am

Red Faced Buddha wrote:I've always found religion,deities,and cosmologies fascinating.Devas in Buddhism particularly fascinate me,because they are mortal and can sink down to the lower worlds(human,asura,hungry ghost,etc.)some Buddhist believe they are almost utterly powerless but I disagree.Although they may be indifferent to human being,I believe devas must be very powerful beings(I read a myth about how Shakyamuni had to transform into a wrathful deity to subdue some of the more powerful ones.)and at least the lower ones have some participation with humans.This would explain the rise and fall of several deities,occuring with their rise and fall within religions corresponding with their life and finally death.How do you feel?

Devas are literally "beings of light". Although ultimately mortal, they had the great merit to be reborn as such. They are the sixth of the six recollections (Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, generosity, morality and the gods/devas).

Like any being, they deserve our respect.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Return to Open Dharma