Chogyam Trungpa books

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Skydancer

Chogyam Trungpa books

Post by Skydancer »

I'd like to start reading Chögyam Trungpa's books, but I don't know with which one to begin. Is there any logical order I should follow? I've thought I'd start with Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa, because I feel very drawn to Indian Mahamudra Mahasiddhas. Any tips?
udawa

Re: Chogyam Trungpa books

Post by udawa »

Skydancer wrote:I'd like to start reading Chögyam Trungpa's books, but I don't know with which one to begin. Is there any logical order I should follow? I've thought I'd start with Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa, because I feel very drawn to Indian Mahamudra Mahasiddhas. Any tips?
Probably best to start with Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, the Myth of Freedom and maybe Meditation in Action.

They set out the essential background for his other works.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
rai

Post by rai »

i would vote for "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" ! extraordinary book!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Skydancer wrote:I'd like to start reading Chögyam Trungpa's books, but I don't know with which one to begin. Is there any logical order I should follow? I've thought I'd start with Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa, because I feel very drawn to Indian Mahamudra Mahasiddhas. Any tips?
That's a good one. No reason not to start there. Myth of Freedom & Cutting Through get recommended quite a lot because they are very good books indeed, and still very timely. I liked Illusion's Game, Lion's Roar, and Journey without Goal as well (many of these are available used very inexpensively these days)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I'd second these opinions. "Cutting Through" helped me a lot when I got started. "Myth of Freedom" and "Meditation in Action" were also good.
I did find that his later works made less and less sense to me. YMMV, of course.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

"Cutting Through" was a real wake-up call when it first appeared, a game-changer for me and a lot of other people. "Myth of Freedom" and "Journey Without Goal" are also quite good, but the impact and influence of "Cutting Through" were profound and it's a sensible place to begin.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I also vote for Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, and Meditation in Action.

Shambhala: Sacred Path of The Warrior I also enjoyed, but it was odd as I remember it went out of it's way to present Buddhist ideas as not being Buddhist..

Cutting Through was very lucid I thought, more so than the others.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Skydancer

Post by Skydancer »

Thank you for all your recommendations.
Buddha bless you!
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

On a related note. Does anyone know anything or can direct me to a url that provides more information on this publication?

The Path of Individual Liberation: The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, Volume One/Two/Three.
http://www.amazon.com/Path-Individual-L ... ds=trungpa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has it been printed before?

EDIT: Found a link on Shambhala I wasn't able to find the other day.
http://www.shambhala.com/authors/o-t/ch ... asury.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
illusionsgame

Post by illusionsgame »

THat collection has just been printed. Transcripts of annual seminaries over the course of his life: amazing, but not recommended for beginners.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”