Chogyam Trungpa books

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Chogyam Trungpa books

Postby Skydancer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd like to start reading Chögyam Trungpa's books, but I don't know with which one to begin. Is there any logical order I should follow? I've thought I'd start with Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa, because I feel very drawn to Indian Mahamudra Mahasiddhas. Any tips?
Skydancer

Re: Chogyam Trungpa books

Postby udawa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Skydancer wrote:I'd like to start reading Chögyam Trungpa's books, but I don't know with which one to begin. Is there any logical order I should follow? I've thought I'd start with Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa, because I feel very drawn to Indian Mahamudra Mahasiddhas. Any tips?

Probably best to start with Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, the Myth of Freedom and maybe Meditation in Action.

They set out the essential background for his other works.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa

Postby rai » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 pm

i would vote for "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" ! extraordinary book!
Disdaining the lower and unable to grasp the higher,
talking of emptiness, such a person will neglect cause and effect,
mouthing on about the view while in a state of self-deception.
It would be better to concentrate on the gradual path.

"Creation and Completion" Jamgon Kongtrul
rai

Postby Jikan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Skydancer wrote:I'd like to start reading Chögyam Trungpa's books, but I don't know with which one to begin. Is there any logical order I should follow? I've thought I'd start with Illusion's Game: The Life and Teaching of Naropa, because I feel very drawn to Indian Mahamudra Mahasiddhas. Any tips?

That's a good one. No reason not to start there. Myth of Freedom & Cutting Through get recommended quite a lot because they are very good books indeed, and still very timely. I liked Illusion's Game, Lion's Roar, and Journey without Goal as well (many of these are available used very inexpensively these days)
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Lingpupa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm

I'd second these opinions. "Cutting Through" helped me a lot when I got started. "Myth of Freedom" and "Meditation in Action" were also good.
I did find that his later works made less and less sense to me. YMMV, of course.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Benchen and Back digital edition now on Amazon - see http://tinyurl.com/78rdcoy
Lingpupa

Postby Silent Bob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

"Cutting Through" was a real wake-up call when it first appeared, a game-changer for me and a lot of other people. "Myth of Freedom" and "Journey Without Goal" are also quite good, but the impact and influence of "Cutting Through" were profound and it's a sensible place to begin.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Silent Bob

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:53 pm

I also vote for Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, and Meditation in Action.

Shambhala: Sacred Path of The Warrior I also enjoyed, but it was odd as I remember it went out of it's way to present Buddhist ideas as not being Buddhist..

Cutting Through was very lucid I thought, more so than the others.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Skydancer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Thank you for all your recommendations.
Buddha bless you!
Skydancer

Postby simhanada » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 pm

On a related note. Does anyone know anything or can direct me to a url that provides more information on this publication?

The Path of Individual Liberation: The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, Volume One/Two/Three.
http://www.amazon.com/Path-Individual-L ... ds=trungpa

Has it been printed before?

EDIT: Found a link on Shambhala I wasn't able to find the other day.
http://www.shambhala.com/authors/o-t/ch ... asury.html
simhanada

Postby illusionsgame » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 am

THat collection has just been printed. Transcripts of annual seminaries over the course of his life: amazing, but not recommended for beginners.
illusionsgame

Return to Tibetan Buddhism