Translate Chinese Passage

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
some1

Translate Chinese Passage

Post by some1 »

I am posting this on behalf of Bhikkhu Kumara. He needs help to translate the below passage to English. Anyone willing to try?
From丁福保佛學大辭典(Ding Fubao's Dictionary of Buddhist Studies): 境【術語】心之所遊履攀緣者,謂之境。如色為眼識所遊履,謂之色境。乃至法為意識所遊履,謂之法境。俱舍頌疏一曰:「色等五境為境性,是境界故。眼等五根名有境性,有境界故。」實相之理,為妙智遊履之所,故稱為境。是屬於前之法境。玄義二上曰:「以境妙故,智亦隨妙。以法常故,諸佛亦常。函蓋相稱,境智不可思議。」
I started something but what I have done is too lousy. Looks like I need to learn more.

境 (visaya) 【術語】 [Technical Term]
心之所遊履攀緣者,謂之境。
Where the mind (citta) perceives and clinging on, that is named as "境".
如色為眼識所遊履,謂之色境。
For example, materiality (rupa) perceives by the eye-perception, that is named as "色境" (rupa visaya).
乃至法為意識所遊履,謂之法境。
So does, mental object (dharma) perceives by the consciousness, that is named as "法境" (dharma visaya).
俱舍頌疏一曰:「色等五境為境性,是境界故。眼等五根名有境性,有境界故。」
The "Commentary and Explanation of Abhidharma-kosa-sastra" said:
"materiality and the rest of the five external objects ... "
實相之理,為妙智遊履之所,故稱為境。是屬於前之法境。
The reality ...
玄義二上曰:「以境妙故,智亦隨妙。以法常故,諸佛亦常。函蓋相稱,境智不可思議。」
some1

Re: Translate Chinese Passage

Post by some1 »

Just found that 境 can be visaya or jneya, 境智 is jneya-jnana, and 玄義 is 《妙法莲华经玄义》 "The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra" by Tiantai ZhiYi 智顗.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Do you still need help with the translation of the passage?
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
some1

Post by some1 »

Kaji wrote:Do you still need help with the translation of the passage?
Thanks for offering to help, and sorry for the late response (I have not been around for some time). I don't think Banthe need that anymore, but it will be great if can you post your transalation here for everyone's benefit too.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

some1 wrote:
Kaji wrote:Do you still need help with the translation of the passage?
Thanks for offering to help, and sorry for the late response (I have not been around for some time). I don't think Banthe need that anymore, but it will be great if can you post your transalation here for everyone's benefit too.
I don't have an existing translation for the text, so I would leave yours as it is unless you specifically want my help in e.g. reviewing your translation.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Language”