Eating cats in China (not a joke).

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Huseng
Former staff member

Eating cats in China (not a joke).

Post by Huseng »

This is for real. A lorry full of cats destined for hot pot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... g-pot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lowlydog

Re: Eating cats in China (not a joke).

Post by lowlydog »

Grrrrrrr! Woof! Woof! Woof! :oops: old habits die hard. :smile:
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huseng wrote:This is for real. A lorry full of cats destined for hot pot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... g-pot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is disturbing and depressing. As one of comment posters in the Telegraph article wrote, eating dogs and cats are not common among the Chinese, and certainly most overseas Chinese consider that barbaric. In many of the large cities in China, the people treat pets the same way as most Westerners do.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
lowlydog

Post by lowlydog »

Eating Dogs!!! :jawdrop: "What you talking about Willis?"
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

pueraeternus wrote: This is disturbing and depressing. As one of comment posters in the Telegraph article wrote, eating dogs and cats are not common among the Chinese, and certainly most overseas Chinese consider that barbaric. In many of the large cities in China, the people treat pets the same way as most Westerners do.
Sure, but almost nobody cares about the cows which are just as intelligent and emotional as the cats...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Huseng wrote: Sure, but almost nobody cares about the cows which are just as intelligent and emotional as the cats...
:thumbsup:
There is no logic in exempting the meat of some animals on customary grounds while not exempting all meat.

To be consistent:
A vegetarian would not want to eat a cat just as much as not eating a cow.
An omnivore who eats a cow should be just as willing to eat a cat.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

David N. Snyder wrote: To be consistent:
A vegetarian would not want to eat a cat just as much as not eating a cow.
An omnivore who eats a cow should be just as willing to eat a cat.
That is true to some degree. However, I think most people consider pets to be an extension of their human family, hence they don't eat them. If not, based on the above hypothesis, then an omnivore would be also willing to eat humans. :smile:
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huseng wrote: Sure, but almost nobody cares about the cows which are just as intelligent and emotional as the cats...
True. It is true that humans tend to not want to eat animals that are considered cute, cuddly, or are culturally considered companion animals. But this is not a bad thing, since it limits the number of animals being considered as livestock.
zenkarma

Post by zenkarma »

I gather the dish is called "Tiger and Dragon Locked in Battle" and that it also contains snake. Does anyone have the recipe?
The substance of the Absolute is inwardly like wood or stone, in that it is motionless, and outwardly like the void, in that it is without bounds or obstructions. It is neither subjective nor objective, has no specific location, is formless, and cannot vanish. ~Huang Po
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

pueraeternus wrote:
True. It is true that humans tend to not want to eat animals that are considered cute, cuddly, or are culturally considered companion animals. But this is not a bad thing, since it limits the number of animals being considered as livestock.
Chickens are apparently quite affectionate once you get to know them. They have good memories and remember the pecking order, so to speak.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huseng wrote: Chickens are apparently quite affectionate once you get to know them. They have good memories and remember the pecking order, so to speak.
chickensoupchicken.jpg
chickensoupchicken.jpg (38.27 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I dunno about you but I find these here pretty cute and cudly:
calf.jpg
calf.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 5437 times
lamb.jpg
lamb.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
NIRMAL2

Post by NIRMAL2 »

As the saying goes in China "We'll eat any animal with its back towards the sun"
Attachments
401973_10150484072272611_228568137_n.jpg
401973_10150484072272611_228568137_n.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
lowlydog

Post by lowlydog »

Yipes!! I might have to defend myself around here. :guns: :jedi:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

There's a joke out there, I dunno if it will be considered racist (if people take offense to it please PM me to delete it) that goes like this:

What is the only thing with four legs that a Chinese person will not eat?

The table!

Seriously though. I spent a month travelling around China and was amazed at the variety of lving beings that Chinese use in their dishes. I even had the joy of living in a hotel in Guangdong whose entrance opened into a food market. I had the snake venders stall as the first thing I saw every morning when I left the hotel.

Animal rights are a bit of a non-issue in China.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Devotionary

Post by Devotionary »

zenkarma wrote:I gather the dish is called "Tiger and Dragon Locked in Battle" and that it also contains snake. Does anyone have the recipe?
As someone from Chinese descent, I actually find this quote quite funny/unfortunately true. :p

After all, chicken feet are pegged as "Phoenix Claws" in Chinese restaurants.

No wonder the Chinese also have vegetarian mock versions of everything! Mock abalone, mock duck, mock bacon, mock beef etc...
Music

Post by Music »

I am a vegetarian, but is it wrong for a buddhist to eat all this? Even a buddhit has to eat to survive.
lowlydog

Post by lowlydog »

Music wrote:I am a vegetarian, but is it wrong for a buddhist to eat all this? Even a buddhit has to eat to survive.
Animals, even dogs :emb: exist in a constant state of generating craving and aversion, there is no escape for them. Every fibre of their body is vibrating with craving and aversion, and we wish to escape this habit. Ingesting these vibrations, what kind of vibrations will you have?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Music wrote:I am a vegetarian, but is it wrong for a buddhist to eat all this? Even a buddhit has to eat to survive.
Vegetarianism is a lesser of evils. If you're going to eat meat, why have a bias for cute cats while happily devouring cows and pigs?

In this case it seems people are eating the cats as a luxury (and probably as a conversation piece) rather than out of a necessity to survive, which makes the act even worse.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

I wonder: What if rather than euthanizing bad dogs/cats, why not make meat and sell it? If nobody buys it, then give it to the homeless for free. That seems to be better use than just euthanizing them.
Even the water melting from the snow-capped peaks can find its way to the ocean"

Return to “Lounge”