Are thoughts vipaka?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
phil

Are thoughts vipaka?

Postby phil » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 am

Hi all

I think I have asked this before elsewhere, but haven't figured it out yet. Sorry if it's been asked already in the archives, I didn't have a look.

Are thoughts vipaka? If I'm not mistaken, mental objects are included as external ayatanas the way forms, sounds, tastes etc are. But are these mental objects thoughts, or something much more ephemeral, or are thoughts a kind of active by-product that comes about as proliferation etc in response to risen objects? I hope that question is clear.

When we wake up, first thing in the morning, it feels as if there are thoughts that come out of nowhere, that arise as a resultant of the previous days thinking, for example. And it feels like those thoughts are vipaka. But I would guess that the correct answer is that thoughts are conceptual and therefore are not dhammas, and cannot be vipaka. Mental objects that are external ayatanas must be something far more fleeting than thoughts. Right?

Thanks

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Are thoughts vipaka?

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:03 am

Greetings Phil,

That's an interesting question.

Often we hear that one of the consequences of creating negative kamma is the grief that comes from reflecting on or remembering the evil deeds that one has done.

Are those thoughts vipaka?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:20 am

this is a good question, thinking plays a part in creating kamma, but is it also the result of it? i'd think to an extent it is... but i dont know, maybe there's some grey area? maybe this is an abhidhamma question?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

phil

Postby phil » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:38 am

(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

phil

Postby phil » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:11 am

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Individual

Postby Individual » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:22 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

phil

Postby phil » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:01 am

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”