YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

HHDL Cook Off! - Dhamma Wheel

HHDL Cook Off!

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
legolas

HHDL Cook Off!

Postby legolas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am

Reality shows? Is this really what a monk should be doing?

I know the vinaya has rules about watching shows, surely they have rules about partaking in them.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: HHDL Cook Off!

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

legolas

Postby legolas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:02 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

legolas

Postby legolas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 am

Agreed. It is an irony that HHDL is someone whom I could admire as a political leader whilst I find his behaviour as a monk rather suspect.

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 am

legolas

Postby legolas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:14 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:49 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 pm

This is one of the sillier thread I have seen in some time. The Dalai Lama is on a cooking show? He is not my teacher, he does not belong to the school I belong to, he does not seem to be doing anything inappropriate, so I don't give a rat's ass. There are other thing that one can get one's nose out of joint over that might be worth the energy, but this does not strike me as one of them, though the thread itself is a bit of a waste of time, I said realizing this is a couple of minutes lost that I'll never, ever get back.

legolas

Postby legolas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:27 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 pm

legolas

Postby legolas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:43 pm

I can't view videos on my connection....so....what did he cook?.....does he reveal any great tips?....Is he going to do another show?....I hope it becomes a weekly show then maybe we can write in and request that he do certain things like rutabega revulsion or diced disenchantment pie.
chownah

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:50 pm

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Didn't watch that one, but I saw this video today of someone acting like an idiot while interviewing him.
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... nenet.html

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:32 pm

:jumping:

Luckily none of our really dumb interviewers got turned loose on him here...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... ry-resigns

As Tilt said above, since HHDL is not a Theravada monk there's no point in judging him in those terms. Judged purely in his own terms he seems very sincere and a lot of fun. Last week he was able to tell several thousand people here, including many who had lost friends and family members in our February earthquake to basically "Being sad won't bring them back - get over it!" And he was able to do it in a kind, sincere, and believable way (since he's gone through tremendous losses himself).

:anjali:
Mike

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 pm

My father also thought that the Dalai Lama was the Buddhist pope!

But given that the media has chosen him as the Buddhist figure-head, we could do a lot worse. In fact I would say he is a clear stand-out above the other religious leaders, who vary from stiff and conservative to stolid but obscure. He has, as many here have noted, brought millions to Dharma and Dhamma and from what I've heard, his retreats and daily seminars are not the light-weight fare he is chiefly known for.
_/|\_

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I agree Dan (and Ben!) One of my friends here went to an event in Auckland several years ago. The first day was the general public jokey presentation. The next day there were several hours of talks on the Noble Truths.

It does seem unfortunate that we don't have Theravada leaders who can really reach out to a huge number of the public...

:anjali:
Mike

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”