trying on different outfits

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

trying on different outfits

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

So, I started off by reading mostly Pali stuff years ago, read Zen stuff here and there, a few books by Chogyam Trungpa.. a smattering of other things, and very informal practice on my part. Also always had a hard time keeping the fifth precept..if we are being honest.

Only in the last few years have I starting sitting with others, and really come to the realization I could use a teacher. So I have spent some time at a Zen place near me. I really enjoyed my time there, but simply feel that the place, and possibly Zen itself is just not for me. I thought that I needed the austerity, now I am not so sure.

I went to a Tibetan sangha here, did a Green Tara meditation, and I really got something out of it..far more than I would have expected, and I think i want to "try this place out" for lack of a better term, it looks wonderful on a number of levels. Finding a place to regularly practice weekly, with a teacher of some sort is especially important to me because I am the father of two kids, for whom I am primary childcare, so if I ever have time in this lifetime for some kind of retreat..it will not be until they are much older!

Two things, firstly I feel odd, and like a bit of flake for leaving the place I was at and trying something new. On the one hand it seems like the right decision intuitively, but I don't want to just hop from place to place either, I know practice is difficult, and I don't want to be (or appear to possible teachers) as someone that is just "trying things on" until i find something that requires less effort on my part.

In addition, I am unclear as to whether I should formally "leave" the place I was sitting, I have not been active there for some time, but I'm not sure whether formally saying goodbye would be insulting/upsetting or a good thing to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
lobster

Re: trying on different outfits

Post by lobster »

Where ever we are, we sit on the same ass. :meditate:
Whatever makes you comfortable. Whatever you do is fine. Personally I come and go as I please. If making a formal connection, then the decision might warrant a visit, cancelling standing order or saying goodbye to ones favourite statue. :smile:
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: In addition, I am unclear as to whether I should formally "leave" the place I was sitting, I have not been active there for some time, but I'm not sure whether formally saying goodbye would be insulting/upsetting or a good thing to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.
You're not a flake. Genuine flakes don't even have that concern!

It depends on the personality of the person you would talk to what the best approach would be. It's an ususual person who would have the guts to say to the zen center, "hey, you guys were great, but this other center is working better for me right now." For some people that might be preferable over having you just leave without explanation. Others, not as emotionally mature, might have a hard time with it.
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Visiting different centers of different traditions is fine in my opinion.
You need to find your own path, no one can point it out for you.

Why formally leave the Zen center? If you like sitting there, then go sit there.
If you enjoy the other center, then visit that one more often.

Do what feels right to you and that's all that matters.

:namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: it seems like the right decision intuitively
looks like you answered your own question, trust yourself
Johnny Dangerous wrote: In addition, I am unclear as to whether I should formally "leave" the place I was sitting, I have not been active there for some time, but I'm not sure whether formally saying goodbye would be insulting/upsetting or a good thing to do.
I think it could be a nice thing to do, if it feels right. or not, if it doesn't feel right or particularly necessary. I think you can trust yourself here too.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

With all of the sanghas I have ever practiced with, people would come and go all the time.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Circumstances change. Our needs change. We flit around until we find the right fit. I've done the exact same thing, even staying at one Zen place for many months before recently switching to a Karma Kagyu center. Go with whatever deepens your appreciation of the Three Jewels :)
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”