Another earthquake in Christchurch, NZ

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
mikenz66

Re: Another earthquake in Christchurch, NZ

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Yesterday was the funeral of my optometrist, with whom I had many interesting conversations about optics,the tuning of organs (which was one of his many interests), and anything else that might come up. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc ... aul-Dunlop

Over the last week or so I've attended Bahá'í, Buddhist, and Christian funerals. An interesting cross section of faiths. The key observation that appears to give people solace is that the victims lived their lives fully and according to their principles.

:anjali:
Mike

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 am

Hello all,

New Zealand's quake-ravaged city Christchurch has been rattled by two large tremors and a series of aftershocks, injuring a number of people and forcing the evacuation of buildings.

Two quakes, a 5.2 followed by a 6.0 in magnitude, were felt within just two hours, with the second hitting just 13 kilometres from Christchurch at a depth of 9 kilometres.

Near Tai Tapu, south of Christchurch, local resident Philippa Edwards says the second quake felt as big or bigger than the 6.3-magnitude quake that devastated the city in February.

Ms Edwards says the house and trees shook and tremors are continuing every few minutes. Local reports say five tremors measuring 4.4, 5.2, 4.3, 3.4 and 6.0 have been felt since 1:00pm local time.

Police said they had received some reports of damage in the city, including flooding.

The Christchurch Press reported a building had collapsed, with some people believed to be trapped inside. Electricity supplies in many areas have been affected.

Christchurch resident Jenny Howell says she is battling to get home to Avondale, a suburb of Christchurch. She says the liquifaction has returned and she is shaking.

There are problems with phone lines through to affected areas.

Much of central Christchurch remains closed off since February's 6.3-magnitude quake which levelled buildings, killing 181 people in the country's deadliest earthquake for 80 years.

An inquest into the collapse of one of the buildings in the February quake, which began today, was briefly evacuated following the latest tremor.

ABC New Zealand correspondent Dominique Schwartz, who was attending the inquest, said plaster fell from the ceiling of the inquest venue as the earthquake hit.

"This was a room that was full of people who were hearing about how their loved ones died in an earthquake and we'd just broken for lunch when this quake happened," she said.

"The building shook quite a lot. It seemed like it was then stopping and then it took off again.

"There was a loud crack on the floor above us, some plaster fell down, and that's when both of us who could get out ran out fairly swiftly.

"I don't think anyone here thinks the worst of it is over. I think people take it one day at a time or one moment at the time.

"In the week after the September 4 earthquake, we had a lot of powerful aftershocks then.

"Really what we're seeing is an ongoing pattern of aftershocks, which doesn't make it any easier for the people of Canterbury."

-ABC/AFP
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 242419.htm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:37 am

We're still fine over here in on the western side of the city, but it sounds bad again out east...

Mike

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:47 am

Good to hear you're okay Mike.

I think the question needs to be raised about whether rebuilding Christchurch is indeed a good idea, at least at the present time. Usually Earthquakes happen and then you have a period of aftershocks and then everything settles down again. Pressure builds upon a fault and then usually is released following the earthquake, but it seems that nothing has released the current pressure on the fault system in question. Christchurch seems to be the exception to the rule and one has to wonder just how long the seismic instability could continue.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Quiet Heart

Postby Quiet Heart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

:broke:
Not all faults release all at once...in one single powerful earthquake which is the folllowed by a series of decreasing aftershocks before a long period of relative quiet.
In fact it is just as likely that a fault will release in a series of relatively small earthqukes with a few big ones thrown into the mix. The pressure on the fault releases gradually....like a piece of cloth being pulled apart that breaks away slowly in small rips from the main piece of cloth.
The fault causing these earthquakes may be doing that...giving a little with each earthquake rather then breaking apart all at once. If that's the case, this could be only one of many earthquakes before the stress is ultimately released.
Which will not be good for Christchurch, if that is the case.
:cry:
In Quietness is the beginning of all things.

When I was younger I used to think I knew all the answers. Now I would be happy to feel I could ask just one intelligent question.

chownah

Postby chownah » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Whether to rebuild is a question that is usually not seriously addressed by anyone other than engineers and holy people....consider Tokyo, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, etc.
chownah

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Anywhere in NZ is in danger from earthquakes/volcanic activity (living as we do on edge of the Pacific plate and Australian Plate). So unless I want to leave the country, moving to avoid an earthquake would be a rather pointless activity.

Perhaps I could move to.... ummmm ... must be someplace that hasn't had a disaster for a century or so... errr. I'll get back to you.

Of course, one could certainly argue that on technical grounds that some suburbs should be abandoned (which will certainly happen) and certain types of buildings shouldn't be built in central Christchurch (on a site that used to be a swamp!).

On the other hand, look at our art gallery, which is now our civil defence HQ. No problems with that building...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc ... t-standard

As far as I can tell, few houses failed catastrophically (by which I mean collapsed such that they were an immediate danger to the occupants), even in the worst affected areas. Building codes assured that.

And out here in the western suburbs (where the ground was shingle, not swamp) there is little serious damage. Our University buildings are standing (some do have damage and it will make more sense to rebuild than to fix them, e.g. some 45-year old lecture theatres...).

I think the biggest risk here is disaster fatigue. It's really tiring, even when one doesn't have too many personal problems.

Mike

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi, Mike,
It sounds like the best compromise might be to make sure any major rebuilding is on firmer ground, letting (some of) the the swampy side go back to open space. That way, 'Christchurch' is rebuilt but future problems are minimised.
We've had something similar here recently: the town of Grantham was completely wiped out by floods and they are rebuilding it further up hill. I think the local government came up with land swaps or something to help the process along.
As for the decision making process, what I've seen on our news is purely political - Keys 'standing firm against the forces of nature' OWTTE in order to appear the calm, strong leader. :shrug:

:namaste:
Kim

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:03 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 am

mikenz66