On Keeping the Samaya of the 10th & 25th

pemachophel

Re: On Keeping the Samaya of the 10th & 25th

Post by pemachophel »

Here's H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche on the benefits of doing tshog on the 10th day each month:

Similarly, there are special benefits accruing to us from the observing of the monthly Pujas on each of the Tenth day great festivals in the order given above. For example, those evil spirits which cause the disease will be pacified. Our length of life, virtue and wealth will increases; and our happiness of mind, quick encourage, and brilliance of personality will likewise increase. Both human beings and non human spirit will gather under our power; our dominion and prosperity will increase; and the local deities and the guardian spirits will heed us as if they are our servants. The harm and injury caused by the Lord of Death and the eight groups of spirits will be mitigated. Our moral precepts will be completely purified and our wisdom will radiate into every area. The dangers due to unfavorable planets and stars, unlucky days, enemies and thieves will no longer threaten us; good fortune and well being will increase everywhere at home and abroad. The mischief due to earth-spirits (sa-bdag), Nagas, and fierce subterranean beings (gNyan) will likewise no longer threaten us; and the Dharma Protectors and the Guardians will accomplish those deeds with which they are charged. The damaged caused by are hindrances, enemies, and evil spirits will be ameliorated; and will gather under our power whatever we desire. Diseases which cause the body to waste away will be cleansed; bodily health and happiness of mind for ourselves as well as our friends and relatives will increase; and we will obtain whatever object we contemplate. Unlucky periods among the days, months and years, as well as ill omen generally, will be mitigated; and we will fully recover whatever dominion and good fortune we may have lost. Evil spirits, who cause diseases, such as the Bhutas and the eight groups of spirits, as well as the conditions of untimely death will likewise be pacified. We shall be freed from the ill effects of contagious magic (gtad), the disabling effects of mantras which impair the function of the intellect (sel) and which disturb our peace of mind (byad-kha), as well as elemental spirits evoked to harm us by causing disease or calamity (rbod-gtong). Indeed, our own body will become as strong as diamond. Hypocritical deeds in violation of our precepts, such as any defect or default of the three types of vows, as well as all transgressions of the samaya vows, will be cleansed; and our mind will become pure. Ultimately death and other accidental disasters will not arise, and immediately upon passing from this life we shall be reborn in the presence of the Guru Himself in the Realm of Lotus Light, Padmaprabhaksetra, (Padma od zhing). Also, from the practice of reciting the prayers in their proper order particularly at the time of performing Puja, we shall become as one who possesses infinite benefits; our accumulated merit shall be inexhaustible.

According to the Lama Sang-du (bLa ma gSang-dus): “On the Tenth Day of the monkey month of the monkey year: And on all the Tenth Days of the other months, my manifestations will emanate throughout Jumbudvipa in particular; and I shall bestow siddhis both ordinary and supreme. As for those who perform saddhana of the Guru throughout their entire life. If they persist in this, then at the time of passing from this present life, they will be absorbed into my own heart centre.” According to the Treasure tradition (gter- lung) of Ratna Lingpa: “When who remember me, as if carrying a pebble in their packet as a reminder, They and I shall indeed be inseparable To My sons, my disciplines, the king and ministers of Tibet. On the Tenth Day of each month, I myself will appear: this I promise. I, Padmasambhava, would never deceive others.” According to the zhal-dam Ser-treng (Zhal-gdams gser-phreng): I, Urgyen, particularly on the Tenth Day which is the Great Festival, Will come to the snowy land of Tibet, Riding upon the rays of sun and moon, The rainbow, the mists or rain; And shall remove all obstacles impeding, my devoted disciples. Upon each I shall bestow the four consecrations which they desire. This is my promise and Padma would never deceive anyone. If one who is devoted to me always observes the puja on the Tenth Day. By virtue of practicing the saddhana according to my instructions, He will realize the well being of the kingdom.”

He confirmed these adamantine verses, which surely speak the truth, many times and not one time only. He would never deceive those disciples appearing in later times who believe in His promise with all their heart. With ever increasing effort may they spread widely these festivals which are always productive of benefits and happiness in one’s present life and in all future life. May this festival of benefit and joy be always observed everywhere, together with the Dharma in the presence of those who desire liberation. Similarly, may these glad tidings be displayed like a beautiful young maiden attractively be jeweled and graced with well-explained excellent meanings for every word.

(Translated by John Reynolds, Vajranatha)

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I would ask myself: is it better to not do the tsog at all or do it on the next, or previous, day? (Or even a few days earlier or later)

For some people that is what it comes down to. Since tsog has to do with the renewing and mending of samaya then my opinion is that it is better to do it whenever the opportunity arises rather than obsessing with the exact date to do it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Greg, Absolutely agreed in terms of doing or not doing at all.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I think that is possibly the text I saw once, even though it does not explain the astrological significance. Here, we rely on faith.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Do I recall that the Gelugpa's have Tsongkhapa day on the 10th? Anybody know?

I wonder what the significance of the 10th day was before Guru Rinpoche in Tibet or India. Anybody know?
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

OK, I must be missing something out here... How can there be an astrological reason for fretting over the 10th and 25th? Did Guru Rinpoche rely on the Gregorian calendar in the astrological system he used?

Best,

Jens
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Dharmaswede wrote:OK, I must be missing something out here... How can there be an astrological reason for fretting over the 10th and 25th? Did Guru Rinpoche rely on the Gregorian calendar in the astrological system he used?

Best,

Jens
It's the 10th and 25th of the lunar month, Jens. The quarter and 3/4 moon.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

The Gelugpas usually do a guru puja tsok on both Guru and Dakini day,
unless they are doing a special tsog to fulfill another commitment
such as Chakransamvara or Vajrayogini.
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Yudron wrote:
Dharmaswede wrote:OK, I must be missing something out here... How can there be an astrological reason for fretting over the 10th and 25th? Did Guru Rinpoche rely on the Gregorian calendar in the astrological system he used?

Best,

Jens
It's the 10th and 25th of the lunar month, Jens. The quarter and 3/4 moon.
actually more like 1/3 and 5/6. I think the angles are significant.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

i was thinking that, because the tithis are 15 on the waxing and 15b on the waning-- making
a 30 day month. the 10th day on both sides on the moon is 2/3 full and 2/3 dark.
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Yudron wrote: It's the 10th and 25th of the lunar month, Jens. The quarter and 3/4 moon.
Ah! Thanks!

According to Berzin, Serkong Rinpoche said it worked fine with following the dates in the Gregorian calendar – but I take it that was recommended as a back up approach.

Jens, the unredeemable Dharma rookie
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

For all those interested for the exact dates cf here http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=calender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a free electronic tibetan calender download kindly supplied by kirtu and a small pocket calender for 2012 that I slapped together with the main days outlined on it.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

"According to Berzin, Serkong Rinpoche said it worked fine with following the dates in the Gregorian calendar"

Personally, I don't buy this. I believe that there is something special about the outer (i.e., outer world) and inner (tsa, lung, thigle) astrology of these two lunar days, remembering that the outer and inner elements are interdependent and mirror each other.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I agree with Pemachopel. Tibetan astrology is based on the Tantras, and especially on the Kalachakra Tantra, and the relationship of outer world--including "planets" or astrological bodies (the moon, the sun)-and our inner world. Of course, there are two major astrological systems in Tibet, so.......

Though I think they mostly agree?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

gregkavarnos wrote:For all those interested for the exact dates cf here http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=calender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a free electronic tibetan calender download kindly supplied by kirtu and a small pocket calender for 2012 that I slapped together with the main days outlined on it.
Thank you, Greg. Do you know what part of the world these days are calculated for?
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Yudron wrote: I have multiple personalities--one loves unquestioning extreme traditionalism, and one loves science, and practicality. There are probably more, too. Today I can't imagine any way the location of the moon in relation to the earth could impact one's practice. But, tomorrow is the full moon and I need to plan tsog!
The moon in relation to the earth not so important. The sun and moon of ida and pingala, very important. The tsog has significance in relation to the vajra body.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Karma Dorje wrote:
Yudron wrote: I have multiple personalities--one loves unquestioning extreme traditionalism, and one loves science, and practicality. There are probably more, too. Today I can't imagine any way the location of the moon in relation to the earth could impact one's practice. But, tomorrow is the full moon and I need to plan tsog!
The moon in relation to the earth not so important. The sun and moon of ida and pingala, very important. The tsog has significance in relation to the vajra body.
I don't know what ida and pingala are.

So, how does the moon's position in relation to us effect the vajra body? This is just a general skepticism about astrology talking. Not a hostile skepticism... it's jusr the whole things just does not ring true to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dakini_boi wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:For all those interested for the exact dates cf here http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=calender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a free electronic tibetan calender download kindly supplied by kirtu and a small pocket calender for 2012 that I slapped together with the main days outlined on it.
Thank you, Greg. Do you know what part of the world these days are calculated for?
For the US.
If you are running windows vista there is a moon calender gadget which you can download for free that gives phases based on your location.

Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Yudron wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:
I don't know what ida and pingala are.

So, how does the moon's position in relation to us effect the vajra body? This is just a general skepticism about astrology talking. Not a hostile skepticism... it's jusr the whole things just does not ring true to me.
I am sorry, I shouldn't have been so opaque. Ida and pingala are the nadis respectively on the left and right of the central channel sushumna. Ida is the moon, pingala the sun. It is not that the external sun and moon affect the internal channels (though they do-- after all the moon affects such gross things as tides, and the sun provides most energy that life on earth depends on), but rather that these components in the subtle body relate to the external sun and moon like a harmonic or a fractal. At certain points in the month, energies course through various points in the body and make for powerful times to practice.

Astrology does not imply some sort of causality at a distance, but rather indicates a personal gestalt that is made evident by certain planetary and stellar markers.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

pemachophel wrote:"According to Berzin, Serkong Rinpoche said it worked fine with following the dates in the Gregorian calendar"

Personally, I don't buy this. I believe that there is something special about the outer (i.e., outer world) and inner (tsa, lung, thigle) astrology of these two lunar days, remembering that the outer and inner elements are interdependent and mirror each other.

I think he meant something along the lines of "if you follow the Gregorian calendar you maintain the minimum requirement, but you do not get the full benefit". In the light of what has been written in this thread, and in terms of what the tradition asserts, I draw a conclusion that is similar to yours but also accepts Serkong Rinpoche's position (provided I have understood him correctly, as above).

Je

Return to “Nyingma”