YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

How do you use audio sutta recordings? - Dhamma Wheel

How do you use audio sutta recordings?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BKh

How do you use audio sutta recordings?

Postby BKh » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm interested in hearing how people make use of audio recordings of suttas(like the ones found on audtip.org etc.)
Do you listen to them actively, or in the background?
At home or when you are out (driving, commuting, etc)?
Do you have a regular practice of listening every day?
Do you read along with the printed text?
If available, will you listen to a text instead of reading it?
Do you find yourself rewinding to listen to parts again?
Do you incorporate them into your meditation practice?
Have you ever listened to them with a group?
etc. etc.
Daily Practice with the Suttas |
Audio Sutta Recordings | Images of the Buddha across time and space

morning mist

Re: How do you use audio sutta recordings?

Postby morning mist » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Love the reading.. Please make it sound realistic as if the Buddha is giving a discourse..and have someone else read the part where the other asked him questions..Just a suggestion. But it is nice so far.
with metta,

David2

Postby David2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:47 pm

I am currently experimenting with listening to an English recording of the metta sutta (the length is about 3 minutes) every morning after I wake up.

It is a good way to remind yourself of what is important.

I just listen to it and try to watch my reaction (whether I feel the meaning or not).

BKh

Postby BKh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Daily Practice with the Suttas |
Audio Sutta Recordings | Images of the Buddha across time and space

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:25 pm

with metta,

frank k

Postby frank k » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:15 pm

My favorite thing about listening to audio suttas is I can listen to it on a portable mp3 player while walking outside, breathing fresh open air, feeling the sunshine, doing walking meditation/contemplation of dhamma. As opposed to reading the same sutta, I'd be sitting on a desk, breathing (relatively) stale air in a room with artificial light (depriving my body of extra Vitamin D that would be produced from getting 20min of sunshine). Extend lengths of time sitting on a desk contributes much to the health ailments of the modern person such as lower back strain, tight leg muscles/tendons/ligaments from not getting a full range of motion.

For short suttas, 10min or shorter, I also like using it as a prelude to a formal sitting session. Essentially getting a 10min pep talk from the Buddha before meditating. On one of my daily sits I'll usually play the Metta Sutta and chant along with the monastics.
http://www.audtip.org Audio Sutta Recordings

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:08 am

I came across the reading of "Old Path White Clouds" posted on youtube, whenever it is the Buddha's speaking they would add some echo effects. I thought that was a great idea. The more realistic it sounds the more it feels like you are listening to the Buddha speaking.
with metta,

Ruralist

Postby Ruralist » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 am

i have yet to listen to any Sutta recordings (where can i find them please?) but i listen on a daily basis to Dharma talks during various activities, including work.
i find it helps to listen to the talk a second time round to ensure all the information is taken on board as it can be difficult to be totally mindful of the recording when working
"Let monkeys be monkeys without getting emotionally involved. Peace can be born within you because you know the way monkeys are. Knowing the manner of monkeys, you will let go and be at peace, not getting tied up in monkey business." Ven. Ajahn Chah

frank k

Postby frank k » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Ruralist

Postby Ruralist » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 pm

"Let monkeys be monkeys without getting emotionally involved. Peace can be born within you because you know the way monkeys are. Knowing the manner of monkeys, you will let go and be at peace, not getting tied up in monkey business." Ven. Ajahn Chah

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi frank,

Thanks for spending time to read the suttas so people can listen to the suttas. These days I prefer listening to sutta reading over dhamma talk. It is similar to listening to the Buddha giving a discourse. Just imagine you are giving a discourse to an assembly.

I can learn sutta while getting things done at the same time. :twothumbsup:

With metta,
with metta,

frank k

Postby frank k » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Morning Mist. I also like to listen to audio suttas when doing yoga between meditation session, or hiking, or a long car trip.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”