Additional TOS proposal

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
plwk

Additional TOS proposal

Post by plwk »

To the Admins/Mods,

May I propose this additional TOS as taken from our sister site, Dhamma Wheel:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. Members who are suffering from mental illnesses.

Dhamma Wheel is for the exploration and discussion of the Dhamma. While the aim of the Dhamma is to provide a path to the end of suffering, members of Dhamma Wheel are not qualified to deal with acute episodes of mental illness of another, as expressed on a discussion forum. The Administrators and Moderators of Dhamma Wheel request your compliance with regards to the following guidelines which is designed for the benefit of all:

-- Members who are suffering a serious mental illness should seek diagnosis and treatment from a qualified medical professional within their community. Members who are suffering from an acute phase of a mental illness, including intention to self harm and/or suicidal should seek immediate assistance. http://www.befrienders.org/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- Members who are experiencing an acute phase of mental illness or suicidal ideation welcome to seek referral to medical and crisis services from administrators and moderators.
-- Members are asked not to use Dhamma Wheel as a platform to express intentions of self harm or suicide, the experience of voices or other hallucinations or other artefacts of acute mental illness.
-- When encountering a member suffering an acute episode of a mental illness, we should treat that member with compassion and refer that member to medical/emergency services within that person's community and to Dhamma Wheel staff.
Thank you for your kind attention.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Additional TOS proposal

Post by DNS »

Good idea. I added that to our TOS here.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Excellent idea plwk! :twothumbsup:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

-- Members are asked not to use Dhamma Wheel as a platform to express... ...the experience of voices or other hallucinations or other artefacts of acute mental illness.
I would suggest re-wording or clarifying that specific bit,
otherwise, people might think that discussion of metaphysical aspects of Buddhist training are not ok.

For example, "hearing voices" might be someone talking about a audial remembrance of past lives, or hearing a ghost or spirit.
That might even be stretched to certain aspects of Tibetan Esoteric training, or Zen discussions of makyo.

Obviously, especially with regard to suicide, or attempts to do self harm, or harm to others, this site is not a site for emergency mental health counseling, and must shield itself and members from legal liability and harm.

In Gassho,

Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.

Return to “Suggestion Box”