YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Dalai Lama show on a higher plane - Dhamma Wheel

Dalai Lama show on a higher plane

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Dalai Lama show on a higher plane

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:19 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

BlackBird

Re: Dalai Lama show on a higher plane

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 am

Seems like a concert. I dunno... If people want to pay thousands of dollars to be near the Dalai Lama then that's their choice. Such things seem quite divorced from the Buddha's teachings on renunciation, but then the Dalai Lama isn't a Theravadin - He's an exiled king monk, who used to live in a fabulous palace. At the heart of it, the Dalai Lama is a brand, a politician and a celebrity, in light of that none of this seems out of order.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

plwk

Postby plwk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 am

Another 'proof' of how marketing perception sells...
I am a simple Buddhist monk - HH the Dalai Lama

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 am

Thanks Jack.
What I said on The Age website was that I felt the article did a good job illustrating the dilemma of bringing the Dalai Lama out, the high cost of doing so and finding a funding model to make it happen set against the tradition of monks being supported by freely given donations (dana) from the laity.
BTW, I don't get the impression that any of the money is going to HHDL himself.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 am

I went to the DL's talk here in Christchurch yesterday. Which was free..
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/c ... antabrians
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5109265 ... ristchurch
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/dalai-l ... ge-4211732

It was certainly interesting to see him.

:anjali:
Mike

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks Mike.
I've seen him a few times. The last time, about five years ago, I met and had lunch with Chris (Cooran) afterwards.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:04 am

Deep breath.....locate suitable large object to crouch behind.

There are many followers of the Vajrayana who would simply shrug and tell you that the Dalai Lama or rather the people who pull his strings have created a Michael Jackson style personality cult. And that his court is as oppressive as any Arab state. For some reason westerners do not want to hear this. They prefer to buy into the fairytale.

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 am

Now, tell me again about the unicorn!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

Wherever there is power and various conflicting interests, this is going to happen (at least to some extent).

As for the Dalai Lama, the person, from what I have seen he is someone worthy of respect (in my view) both as a human being and as a Buddhist teacher (I saw him at Monash University about a year ago for free).

Yes, some people worship him as a reincarnation of Chenrezig, well if this helps their practice, great!
_/|\_

legolas

Postby legolas » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:15 pm

I was watching the BBC news which described HHDL as the Tibetan Buddhist leader, later in the day Sky news had reinvented history and described him as Buddhism's spiritual leader. At least we now have a heirarchy to work with. What's so annoying is having to explain to family members that I don't actually worship monk/gods, scary demon manifestations or copulating Buddha's. :tantrum:

ground

Postby ground » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 am

The world wants hierarchy. It cannot do without. Actually we find hierarchy in all worldly buddhist organisations (so called "traditions"). And the world does not like complexity ...

Kind regards

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 am

The media rarely do their research, if ever.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Return to “Lounge”