YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"nonattached attachment" - Dhamma Wheel

"nonattached attachment"

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
echalon

"nonattached attachment"

Postby echalon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:50 pm

I just read a wonderful interview with John Welwood, entitled "Human Nature, Buddha Nature", found at . I especially liked his description of "nonattached attachment" and the distinction between the healthier vs less healthy ways of relating to those around us. I feel that it highlights a very real pitfall (at least for me), what he calls the "avoidance of attachment", really a form of aversion/clinging. What are your reactions to this? How much of this do you see reflected in Theravada practice/doctrine/suttas?

santa100

Re: "nonattached attachment"

Postby santa100 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 am

The Brahmana Sutta is a wonderful sutta where Ven. Ananda explains to the Brahman Unnabha that the path of Dhamma is one with a definite goal — the abandoning of desire — which can only be attained by developing a strong desire to end desire...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 am

Greetings echalon

Thanks for providing a link to the article.
I think the article is very interesting and if one can unpack the message from some of the Mahayanist/Vajrayanist contextualization there is an awful lot there that is very applicable to Theravadin practitioners and their sanghas. I was interested to read of Welwood's observations which I have also witnessed. However, I am no psychotherapist.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

wizi

Postby wizi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:52 pm

I have been searching for this article for weeks and finally its found!! :woohoo:

A very interesting article which my dhamma teacher is sure to enjoy!

Thanks for posting it. :anjali:
All beings like yourself are responsible for their own actions. Suffering or happiness is created through one's relationship to experience, not by experience itself. Although I wish only the best for you, I know that your happiness or unhappiness depends on your actions, not on my wishes for you.
May you not be caught in reactivity.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”