Sangha

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Zealot

Sangha

Post by Zealot »

Hello everyone, I am Zachary, but in general, the online communities refers to me as Zealot. I have recently started practicing Buddhism, and it has been bringing me a sense of discontentment that I found myself unable to take refuge in The Three Jewels or, more specifically, Sangha because in my area there are no temples, and I have yet to meet another practitioner in person.

With this post a body seeks to take refuge.
"My life for Aiur!" - Protoss Zealot
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Sangha

Post by Queequeg »

Good 'nuff. But you should still make efforts at some point to get instruction in person. Not necessary or required, but, imho, it is qualitatively critical to see Buddhist culture in person.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

I would have to agree. But this at least brings me a small peace of mind until other arrangements can be made. It may be kind of fitting though as the thing that truly sparked my initiation in Buddhism was Wikipedia.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Zachary,

The Sangha referred to in the three jewels is not just the physical Sangha of fellow practitioners but also the whole array of Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Arhats. So it is not 100% necessary to go to a sangha in order to take refuge in the Sangha.

Where are you based? maybe somebody can point you in the direction of a nearby centre. Sometimes centres or groups of practitioners do not advertise their activities.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Are you saying that I should conjure up Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Arhats to have conversations with? They are a 'community that has attained enlightenment', but I don't see exactly how I can take refuge there. Also, it seems to overlap with one of the other jewels Buddha.

I live in Fremont County in Colorado. The closest place I've found communities is in Colorado Springs, however, I do not have readily available transport to that far away.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You take refuge in the community of the enlightened by trusting that since they have attained enlightement you can too. That is the true refuge or solace obtained from the sangha, not just having somebody around "to have conversations with". :smile:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

So are you saying that Sangha is more of the peace you get from true acceptance of the Third Noble Truth?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

All of the Three Jewels are.

Let me put it to you differently.

Initially I was hesitant of taking formal refuge.

Then I looked at the situation: I was practicing Buddhist meditation techniques, reading Buddhist texts, and asking questions to Buddhists in order to find release from suffering. I was doing this because it was working. Then I realised that I was already seeking refuge in the Three Jewels. Taking formal refuge was then the natural and obvious thing to do.

Actually conjuring up Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Arhats and having "conversations" with them through prayers, mantra, offerings (would you like a cup of tea and some barley cakes) etc... is exactly what we do in the Vajrayana!

Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Thank you for helping to open my eyes, Greg. I think I have a very good grasp of The Three Jewels now and a deeper understanding, as well :)
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Can someone here tell me what is the difference between the 3 refuge and 3 Jewels please?.....and how important is it?.....thanks in advance.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

One is simply a different name for the other; they are one in the same. Apparently, many do not consider you a practicing Buddhist unless you take refuge in the Three Jewels.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

How far are you from Crestone? it might be worthwhile to make pilgrimage to one of the many temples there.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Jikan wrote:How far are you from Crestone? it might be worthwhile to make pilgrimage to one of the many temples there.
The Colorado I visit is a Buddhist eden. Red Feather Lakes, Crestone, Pagosa Springs, Boulder... all have major presence of Tibetan Buddhism.

The other reality is that Colorado in general is very conservative and home to right wing evangelical Christian groups like Focus on the Family.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

...and Colorado Springs is the epicenter of the Christian Fundamentalist movement in the USA.

I STRONGLY recommend a trip to the Boulder area, or Crestone. These are organizations I can personally vouch for, and I'm sure there are other genuine Dharma connections to be made.

Nalandabodhi Boulder
The Sangha House 1200 Aurora
Boulder 80302
Web: http://www.nbboulder.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email: [email protected]
Teachers: Karen Quirk
Description: Tibetan - Nyingmapa

Chagdud Gompa - Orgyan Rigjed Ling
256 Spruce Street
Boulder 80302
Web: http://www.chagdud.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tel: (303) 443-6460
Teachers: Founder: H. E. Chagdud Tulku
Description: Tibetan - Nyingmapa

Ratnashri Sangha - Boulder
3565 Martin Drive
Boulder 80303
Web: http://www.kagyu-medialab.org/ratnashri" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tel: (303) 554-6043
Teachers: Founder: Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen Rinpoche
Description: Tibetan - Drikung Kagyu

Boulder Shambhala Center
1345 Spruce Street
Boulder 80302
Web: http://www.shambhala.org/center/boulder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teachers: Founder: Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche
Description: Tibetan - Kagyu lineage

Look for upcoming events at these centers, and plan in advance.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Jikan wrote:How far are you from Crestone? it might be worthwhile to make pilgrimage to one of the many temples there.
126 mi, 2 hours 33 mins according to Google Maps. That would not be impossible, it would just take planning.

In truth, it seems much of Colorado is divided that way. On sect of a community is very open and loving where the other sect is closed up and hateful.

Thank you for the information conebeckham, I will keep it in mind :)
lobster

Post by lobster »

Zealot wrote:Thank you for helping to open my eyes, Greg. I think I have a very good grasp of The Three Jewels now and a deeper understanding, as well :)
:woohoo:
May the force (and the Sangha) be with you. The three jewels are strong in this one . . .

You are doing fine. :bow:
I will devote my practice today to your continued growth. :anjali:
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Zealot wrote:Hello everyone, I am Zachary, but in general, the online communities refers to me as Zealot. I have recently started practicing Buddhism, and it has been bringing me a sense of discontentment that I found myself unable to take refuge in The Three Jewels or, more specifically, Sangha because in my area there are no temples, and I have yet to meet another practitioner in person.

With this post a body seeks to take refuge.
I rejoice in your dedication!

One does not have to be in the physical presence of the Jewel of the Sangha to go for refuge, though.

~~ Huifeng
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Thank you, everyone! It helps immensely to see your kind words when depression overcomes this body. Though it is my intention to rid myself from this cycle of 'failure' and sadness, I know it is not simply something I can turn off. As my understanding deepens, however, I see myself more and more detached from viewing an event as either 'failure' or 'success'.

It occurred to me maybe a week ago that if I just quit having an opinion on whether or not the thing in front of me in 'good' or 'bad' and just accepted its existence, I could conquer any obstacle in my path. Easier said than done, right? Although progress is slow, meditation on the Five Aggregates and Five Hindrances have accelerated my progress.

May my insights lead me to greater share my compassion with the world and allow others to do the same.

lobster

Post by lobster »

Easier said the done
Tell me about it . . .
We have to start, be inspired and continue . . . :namaste:

One thing I found useful in the past is a journal or blog. This allows us to notice the changes which can be very subtle on a day to day basis.

What we really need is 'Sangha on a truck'. Basically drive them to needy individuals and communities and then pick them up in a day or two . . . or 'dial a monk'. :smile:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”